Friday, September 11, 2009

A Teen's Poem that you absolutely MUST read!

I received this poem from Ethan, a 14 year old. He asked that I share it here, in the hopes that it will "...help some kids going through some of the same issues."


"I have felt the greatest hate that this world has ever known.
I have hated myself for what I am.
All I heard about what I was was that I was sick, wrong.

But then I met him.
I met one of the most beautiful people on this Earth.
He’s funny, he’s smart, and he is everything I want.

I know now, that I was sick.
I was sick for ever thinking that what I felt was wrong.
Because it’s Love. Pure, simple, fiery love.

I hear what people say about what I am.
I hear the bigotry in their voice, and I hear the fear.
I hear about how I’m going to burn.

I am going to burn.
I’m going to burn in the fire of God’s love for me.
And his love for me.

I fear for those whose who hate.
Because hate is a frozen thing, and only makes one unlovable.
I fear for my family, who hates me.

I love what I am, I love my soulmate, and I love God.
I love, not lust, for the fire that I am doomed to.
Because I am gay."


This poem really stuns me. It's so wise. And honest. It breaks my heart and then mends it whole. The author is 14! It took me until I was 21 to be able to say "I am gay" - and then the only person I was brave enough to say it to was myself.

Ethan, I am so proud of you.

What an amazing adventure you have ahead. The world is changing for the better because of people like you. Thank you, thank you, for sharing your poem with us.

Namaste,
Lee

21 comments:

Stephanie Denise Brown said...

I love poetry and this poem is particularly beautiful. One of my favorite lines, "hate is a frozen thing"; I hope he continues to write and share his gift with the world.

HWPetty said...

Brilliant and beautiful!

Thank you for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this poem and best of luck to Ethan!

Keep writing!

T.A.

Amy-Baskin.blogspot.com said...

Lee, thanks for posting that beautiful poem.

Ethan, I love how you turn the concept of burning (presumably in "Hell") 180 degrees into something positive; ecstatic and intoxicating:

"I am going to burn.
I’m going to burn in the fire of God’s love for me.
And his love for me."

It reminds me of the best Sufi poets.

Jo Knowles said...

Beautiful, brave and true.

Keep writing, Ethan!

Jo

Vivian Mahoney said...

Wow. Absolutely poignant and beautiful. Thank you, Ethan, for letting us read this.

Hayden Thorne said...

*melts*

Anonymous said...

Wonderful poem - thanks for writing it, Ethan, and thanks for sharing it, Lee.

jone said...

Incredibly powerful. Thank you for sharing! Love the new blog look.

MotherReader said...

What a gift to have such insight as a teen and to be able to express it so well. Wonderful!

Jenny Schwartzberg said...

Wow! Keep writing poetry, Ethan!

Sherrie Petersen said...

What an amazing poem! Incredibly insightful for someone so young. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Mary Lee said...

Ethan, you are an inspiration.
Lee, thank you for giving him a bigger voice.

Amber Lough said...

I am nearly in tears. It's sad, honest, intelligent, and beautiful.

Thank you, Ethan. I agree with Amy: fire isn't always a punishment. You're a brilliant young man!

Elizabeth O Dulemba said...

Wow. I got chills. What amazing courage.
Thank you for sharing Ethan!
e

Angela said...

This was a beautiful poem, Ethan. I hope you will keep writing and keep sharing your work.

I agree with Lee: Wow!

Marjorie said...

Thank you for sharing this. It sounds as though Ethan has found his way forward - and it is heart-breaking that, from what he says in his poem, at the moment anyway his family can't find their way to be with him on his journey...

Greg Pincus said...

Thanks to you, Lee, for posting and to Ethan for writing. That's voice! How great to see such powerful, personal poetry. I look forward to seeing more (from both of you!).

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Keep writing. Keep living. Keep loving.

--Laura Kemp

Unknown said...

Running through your site for a paper on Prop 8 and I got caught on this. I'm straight but a lot of these books I would read. But this poem had me crying with tears be the second verse.

Rainbow Love said...

Love the words, Ethan. :)

Please support: www.loveisarainbow.com - community for LGBT and other people who advocates human rights, racial and culture equality.