Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Happy Birthday, To My Blog... 2 Years, More than 200 Gay Teen Books, Over 100,000 visitors!


It's my blog-o-versary! Today, September 15, 2009 is exactly 2 years to the day since I started "I'm Here. I'm Queer. What the Hell do I Read?"

Over 100 countries!

Over 100,000 unique visitors!

Over 200 books for Teens with GLBTQ characters and themes!

I thought to celebrate, instead of candles, I'd share with you a few excerpts from some really heartwarming comments I've gotten about this blog:


So happy about the blog. This is very BIG.

- dp


...I'm 22 years old and a gay man. I love your blog, as I have plans of my own to write a story (just finished my plot outline!) that I like to think of as a mixture between Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Harry Potter. ...Someday I hope my book will appear on here, and that yours will too =) Thank you very much because I am here, I am queer, and I've found some things to read.

- Jacob


I decided to google an old term I have heard a few times. Winkte. I am Lakota (Sioux) of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe. It is nice to see some understanding and remembrance for the peoples of the Oceti Sakowin (Seven Council Fires - Great Sioux Nation). Thank you!

- Bobby



I am a youth services librarian and I follow your blog religiously. I just wanted to tell you that I really enjoy all of your recommendations. While I am not gay, growing up as a young adult in Iowa I had many friends who were and could have definitely benefited from a resource like this. ...keep up the good work and I look forward to continue reading!

- Sara



WONDERFUL blog and the work you are doing for GLBTQ teens; thank you!

I’m a public educator in Portland, OR and 25 years ago, when I took an class on adolescent literature, I wrote a “bibliotherapy” paper for the same cause. The few books I found had very tragic, grim outcomes for gay characters; so much has changed and I applaud your efforts.

Glad I found your blog tonight for all that it holds. Thank you so much for the work you do.

- Gwen


...Thanks again for such a wonderful site! I'll be sure to check the reviews, since I'm always in a mood for something new to read. :)

- K L


I've been reading your blog for a while now and really hate the effect it's had on my wallet (no, really, I find more new titles here than just about anywhere else).

- Brian


I just wanted to say thank you for making this site available to teens. I am straight, but I have friends who are gay. I think anyone can relate to stories about people of a different sexual preference because we all deal with things that we want to hide. I have recommended this site to many friends and I will continue to do so.

- Korianne



I think your blog is amazing. I'm a teen reader and it's like discovering a whole new world! Thanks for doing this, you must put a lot of time and effort into it. I wish my local library carried all the books on your list, I'd never leave there :)

- Charlie


Comments like these make me see that I'm making a difference, and that, together, we're changing our world for the better, one book - and one blog post - at a time!

Thank you all for your support, for reading my blog, and for reading and talking and being excited about the culture, the politics, the poetry, and these great GLBTQ Teen books!

Here's to another amazing year ahead,

Namaste,
Lee

29 comments:

Ana S. said...

Happy blogging anniversary! I love what you do.

Tricia said...

Happy, happy day. I'm so glad you're here, and I know that a number of the undergrads I've sent your way have been excited by your list of titles and comforted by your words. I also hope they've been as inspired as I have.

My only regret is that I won't be meeting you in D.C. --Perhaps one of these days.

All the best for the year ahead.

jama said...

Happy Blog Birthday, Lee! Thanks for everything you do!

ivanova said...

Congratulations!

Lisa Jenn said...

Happy blogoversary, Lee! I really want cake, now.

Sarah Laurenson said...

Many congrats!

And I LOVE your bannerhead!!!

Kim Baker said...

Happy day, Lee!
I'm so glad you're here. The blogosphere needs you, and I think you're incredible.
Hugs!

Cuppa Jolie said...

Sending you huge blog birthday hugs, my friend!

Hayden Thorne said...

Well now! A Happy Blogoversary to you, Lee! :) And to add my voice to the chorus, thank you for putting together such a cool hangout. Two years and still going strong! How awesome is that?

Sherrie Petersen said...

You're doing a great job, Lee. Congrats on making a difference :)

Jen Robinson said...

Happy blog birthday, Lee! Here's to many more years, and many more comments like the ones here.

Stephanie Denise Brown said...

Happy birthday, Lee!!! It's a great blog and I loved reading the comments you've received over the last two years. You are making a difference and here's to many more years of you sharing positive inspiration--cheers!

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

WOW! Thank you to everyone who commented - I'm blown away by all your kind words and wishes!

What inspiration for the year ahead!

Namaste,

Lee

Lisa Yee said...

Hooooray for you and your blog!!!!

Tarie Sabido said...

Happy Blog-o-versary, Lee!!! *hugs* :D

rilla jaggia said...

Great job, Lee! Happy BB! You're making a difference.

Rie Selavy said...

Happy blogaversary, Lee! You're such an inspiration!

Barbara Bietz said...

Happy Birthday, Lee!

I hope I'm counted as one of your unique visitors! Wishing you many more years of success!

Best,
Barbara B

Charlotte said...

Happy blog birthday from me too! And thanks for sharing those comments.

I echo Tricia's regret that you won't be in DC...

Amy said...

happy blogiversary...why not celebrate with a BBAW win? :) congrats!

Tasha said...

Congratulations! Thanks for all that you do in the kidslitosphere!

Tasha

Ti said...

Happy blogoversary and congrats on your BBAW win! And I am laughing at the word that I got for word verification below "win genie" no kidding.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday... I've been reading your blog as often as I can from far away (I'm a teacher from Brazil) and, although I can't find most of the books you write about in Portuguese, I share some of the stories you post with my colleagues and my students (the last one was that amazing poem wrote by a 14 years old boy). So, thank you, Lee.
By the way, my birthday is 9/15 too...
Ane

Saints and Spinners said...

Happy blogoversary, Lee!

Erica Silverman said...

Lee,

a virtual champagne toast to you and your fabulous blog!

Hugs,
Erica

Rita said...

And . . . great photo!! With the cake, and your card right next to it!!

*Everybody sings*

Polly said...

Hooray, and congratulations! I'm not a commenter, but I so appreciate you're here and doing what you're doing. Many happy returns!

Bibliovore said...

Happy blogiversary for your wonderful blog! Here's to many more!

Maureen

Sarah Stevenson said...

I'm way behind on e-mail and blogging and just catching up, so happy belated blogoversary!!