Friday, September 14, 2007

Freak Show


by James St. James

Billy Bloom. Guerilla Drag Queen. The new kid at super-conservative Dwight D. Eisenhower Academy. Flip Kelly, the school football hero who unexpectedly... (nah, no spoilers, here!)

James St. James lets Billy take it on the chin with harsh high school reality until Billy decides, like in some amazing golden-age movie musical, to be the freak show he is, and be proud of it.

Incredible things happen from that...

Add your review of this book in "comments!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite books of the year. Billy Bloom has a truly original voice that will have you rolling on the floor with laughter, but that will also break your heart. James St. James has a rare gift.

DecaturNC said...

I almost put this book down becasue of the way it's written. Once I fell into the grove of the author's writing style I was so glad I stuck with it. My partner actually commented on how many times I chuckled or laughed out loud while reading it. I truly enjoyed reading this book and would highly recommend it.

Anonymous said...

This book is probably one of the few books that has made me laugh out loud. While its a little too ridiculous at times, it's nice to see a drag queen with a sense of humor go through the pains of high school, shoe car and all.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this book! It really amazed me that he could cover some really serious topics with such an amazing sense of humor (actually, it reminded me of The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian" in that way). I'm a librarian, and I regularily read sections of this book aloud when I do institution visits.. it's always a big hit :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear Lord. This book made me so very happy to levels that I didn't know I was capable of. I cried, I laughed, I "WTF"ed, and all together loved this book. Nothing could make me love Flip Kelly and Billy Bloom less~