Thursday, January 27, 2011

Three Teens Are Out to Change The Way LGBTQ Athletes Are Viewed in the Sports World

Check out this new blog, Walk The Road: One Common Goal





"All of us are varsity athletes in high school who are on our own paths to being who we truly are. We invite you to take the stand with us and begin walking the road to equality."


How amazing is that?

There's poetry, photos, essays, letters from readers, journal entries, music picks, workout discussions, and bios of Brad, Ben and Robert. And so many good posts! Like "I am an athlete with pride" and "Just another individual", and "The Life of a gay country college boy."


Maybe my favorite so far is this poem by Robert:

I'm a jock.
I'm a jock who likes guys.
I'm a jock who likes guys and cars.
I'm a jock who likes guys and cars and poetry.
I'm a jock who likes guys and cars and poetry and is a dreamer.


Gosh, I love that. Okay, enough of me telling you about it... Go check out Walk The Road and cheer these guys on!

Namaste,
Lee

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow on that poem...the layering and the invitation to see beyond the first impression to see the whole and _not_ assume/judge what the whole is made of! Just. Wow.

Jennifer Morian Frye said...

This is great! As someone who lives in a small (mostly small-minded) community, I have seen how hard it is to be yourself. I commend these young men....and love the poem.