Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Let The Right One In - A Love Story With The Vampire Boy Next Door


By John Ajvide Lindqvist

"The coming-of-age story between two lonely 12-year-olds--one existing as a vampire for 220 years--depicted in the acclaimed Swedish film Let the Right One In and in the recent American remake Let Me In, was originally an award-winning novel. But what was ignored in the American film, and only hinted at in the Swedish original, was that Eli the vampire girl-next-door was actually a boy. Read the gripping tale as young Oskar learns to accept his growing love in the face of both supernatural horror and homophobia."


"But when he said her name aloud he remembered that it was wrong. That was the last thing she had said as they lay together on the couch. That her real name was...Elias. Elias. A boy's name. Was Eli a boy? They had...kissed and slept in the same bed....
Oskar pressed his hands against the bathroom door, rested his forehead against his hands. He tried to think. Hard. And he didn't get it. That he could somehow accept that she was a vampire, but the idea that she was somehow a boy, that...that could be...harder.


My thanks to Donnie for the recommendation, synopsis and favorite passage from the book above! Add your review of "Let The Right One In" in comments!

5 comments:

ivanova said...

That all went over my head when I saw "Let The Right One In," but I loved it. It's also a movie about bullying, and something really horrible happens to some really horrible bullies. A very creepy yet very touching horror movie.

The Pen and Ink Blogspot said...

Saw both movies. Gotta read the book.
Sincerely,
Don't Let Me In Unless You Have Cookies

Anonymous said...

"That he could somehow accept that she was a vampire, but the idea that she was somehow a boy, that...that could be...harder."

I have read this line three times, and I it still boggles my mind.

Jennifer Morian Frye said...

I really enjoyed the film, Swedish, haven't seen the American version yet. (I still don't understand why we need an American version of things....The original is almost always superior.) Need to read the book. I feel guilty that I didn't know until recently that there was a book...

Anonymous said...

I'm reading the book right now, super close to the ending. I gotta say it's amazing, and hands down the best vampire novel I've ever read. Thanks for the recommendation!