Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Adam Lambert comes OUT as GAY - part 1



Hurray!

Though I wish he'd come out DURING the show, I'm glad he finally stood up and (evidently) said it.

I heard that his mother revealed that there was a contractual agreement with the producers of American Idol that they wouldn't discuss Adam's being gay during the run of the show, but in this article it sounds like he's saying it was his decision...

And what is up with the SNAKE (photoshopped in or not) in the cover photo??? That is an interesting... um, CHOICE. What the heck? Is the snake by Adam's crotch some sort of commentary on the dangers of coming out? being gay? Or is it supposed to be sexy, in a straight-culture kind of way? Or is it a nod to the purported "choice" in being gay - saying being gay is a kind of garden of Eden temptation?

One more time, everyone. There is NO CHOICE in whom your body and spirit find attractive. The CHOICE is whether or not you're going to be honest about who you are attracted to.

All in all, I can't wait to read the article...

And I promise, more commentary here when I do!

5 comments:

Hayden Thorne said...

Hmm. What I got from the snake image is really more about a "dangerous" or even "dangerously sexy" persona that Adam exudes. Remember the poster of Nastassja Kinski naked and pregnant, with a python wrapped around her? Same thing, I think.

Anonymous said...

*blushes* I think it's kind of sexy. But I love snakes - seriously, I'm geeky that way. I love zoo field trips and finding garter snakes in the yard, etc.

Then again, I'm definitely not the kind of person Adam wants to attract.

Sherrie Petersen said...

I loved Adam Lambert on Idol. But I have to say, did anybody really think he wasn't gay?

I mean, I have a pretty low "gaydar." It's not something I look for. I just like people or I don't. But even I could tell he was gay. And even though he never talked about it, I never felt like he was trying to tone down who he was for the show. And really, that made me like him more.

As for the snake, I think it just makes him look sexy and dangerous :)

MotherReader said...

I still don't agree with him making a statement during the show, and I like his reasoning for not doing so - it would have been sensationalized and taken the focus on his work as a performer. And it's not like it was some well-hidden secret.

I think I see where you're coming from - that he should be able to talk about his personal life as much as anybody else. But there are two parts to this concept.

One, would it have helped Adam in the contest to do so? I don't think it would have - less that people wouldn't have voted for a gay guy, than that the media would have gone CRAZY with it. And not in a good way. Kris is married, and they certainly spent the least time on that as possible because they wanted to downplay it to his infatuated audience. The performer has to determine whether his/her personal life will help or hurt him. It's strategy.

The second reason is harder. It would be great that him being open about himself would have been as "normal" as anything. I don't think that we're there yet. I think that we're close - like I said, it's not that people didn't figure he was gay. But he couldn't have come out without it being such an Issue that it would have overshadowed anything else. The way he handled it means that now he can be upfront and blaze the way for the next person.

William H. said...

The snake is a phallus. A sexy gay phallus.