Friday, June 19, 2009

President Obama Issues a Gay (GLBT) Month Proclamation - He's talking the talk. But, um... WHERE is the walk?


Would YOU wear this button right now?


We finally have a President who is talking the talk:

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim June 2009 as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month. I call upon the people of the United States to turn back discrimination and prejudice everywhere it exists.


Now we need him to walk the walk.

We're waiting, President Obama. We've been waiting for YEARS. NOW is the time. Do it.

Lincoln didn't wait to sign the Emancipation Proclamation until his second term - he did it in his first, and still got re-elected. (Oh, and the country was at war, then, too. With itself! I guess he could do it even though his plate was full!) He was a man of his convictions. He was right, and history lauds him.

NOW is the time to stand up for what you say you stand for. What we voted you in for.

Change the laws of this nation so we can truly be a GREAT nation with equality for ALL - including us Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender citizens!

A Proclamation (click here for the full text) is nice, but ACTION - repealing DOMA, eliminating "Don't Ask, Don't Tell", federal recognition of same-gender civil marriages - is what changes the world.

And while your "Presidential Memorandum" this week, extending domestic partner benefits to federal employees, is nice, it's only a small step forward. (It's not a new LAW, and will only be in effect while you're in office.)

And we're still angry about last week's Justice Department brief supporting DOMA, which you said you opposed. Comparing our Same-Gender Marriages with Incest? This New York Times editorial summed up our anger well:

Joe Solmonese, president of the Human Rights Campaign, a gay rights organization, said, “I cannot overstate the pain that we feel as human beings and as families when we read an argument, presented in federal court, implying that our own marriages have no more constitutional standing than incestuous ones.”

Come on, President Obama! Give us the change you promised. We bought into your vision of a Country that lives up to its ideals. Show us that vision becoming REALITY!

Come on, Barack! I have a button I want to wear.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Word. I realize he's got a lot on his plate... and I'm still hopeful... but I am not real happy right now.

Unknown said...

I would not wear the button today. He made many promises and got my vote for them. If he wants my vote again he needs to deliver the goods.

I'm not voting for people who don't believe I deserve equality anymore.