Monday, August 22, 2011

If they're ugly on the inside, would YOU try to make them pretty on the outside?


So this professional photographer, Jennifer McKendrick, came across a facebook page where some high schoolers were viciously cyber-bullying other students.

She checked the names of the bullies, and it turns out they were the same girls that she had scheduled senior portrait shoots with.

She cancelled the sessions, saying

"I mean how could I spend two hours with someone during our session trying to make beautiful photos of them knowing they could do such UGLY things," McKendrick writes. "Realistically, I know by canceling their shoots it's not going to make them 'nicer people' but I refuse to let people like that represent my business."

Jennifer explains about it on her blog in this post, "I won't photograph ugly people," and here's the line I love best:
"If you are ugly on the inside, I’m sorry but I won’t take your photos to make you look pretty on the outside!"


I really like that there was some consequence for these teens that were cyber bullying their classmates.

What do you think?
Did Jennifer do the right thing?
Will it make a difference in the lives of those four bullies?

What would YOU have done in a similar situation?


My thanks to Karol for sharing this story with me, so I could share it with all of you!

5 comments:

Kids' Bookworm said...

Jennifer, you're wonderful! I'm glad there are people who are actually taking action against bullying because we're all keen to talk about it, only when it comes to doing something, somehow, very few are there! I'd like to remind you that there are many anti-bullying groups on facebook, such as GLAAD and others. Please join them and become an embassador of the anti-bullying movement!

The Pen and Ink Blogspot said...

Thanks Lee. Good to see Consequences.

Jonathon Arntson said...

It's these seemingly small actions that make the real difference! Kudos to her and thanks for sharing.

Avi de Turenne said...

Ah, Facebook. It magnifies both the good and the bad of the playground. Fortunately the networking also magnifies our ability to stop the bullying -- on line and in school. I can't wait to get a copy of DEAR, BULLY by Megan Kelley Hall and Carrie Jones.

Tara Maya said...

I would love to know if her stance has any consequences. Also, will she be photographing the victim/s of the bullying?