Thursday, August 11, 2011

Beauty Queens: A Rollicking Adventure With Transgender, Lesbian and Bisexual main characters


By Libba Bray

"The fifty contestants in the Miss Teen Dream Pageant thought this was going to be a fun trip to the beach, where they could parade in their state-appropriate costumes and compete in front of the cameras. But sadly, their airplane had another idea, crashing on a desert island and leaving the survivors stranded with little food, little water, and practically no eyeliner.

"What's a beauty queen to do? Continue to practice for the talent portion of the program - or wrestle snakes to the ground? Get a perfect tan - or learn to run wild? And what should happen when the sexy pirates show up?"

I loved reading this book.

And when I saw Libba at the 40th Anniversary SCBWI Summer Conference, she agreed to chat on camera about the book and its queer characters. She even does some of the voices of the characters she used when recording the audio version of the book!

So here's Libba Bray, talking about "Beauty Queens," and how it's
"chock full of LGBTQ awesomeness!"




Add your review of "Beauty Queens" in comments!

3 comments:

Heather Kelly said...

Libba Bray ROCKS. Thanks lee!

HumanDuctTape said...

What, really? I'm double excited to read this now. Before I was just interested because it reminded me of when my high school English class was reading Lord of the Flies, and the discussion wandered into "What if it had been girls on the island instead of boys?"

Annie said...

I just finished this! I absolutely loved it and highly recommend it. It's definitely in line with my brand of humor--"Oh my gosh! Miss Delaware just died!"