Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The bullying of a woman who said it was okay with her if her son was gay

So back in November 2010 this blogger Sarah (her blog is anonymous but on the Today show they referred to her as "Sarah") wrote an amazing post "My Son is Gay... or he's not. I don't care." about how her 5 year old son wanted to dress up as a girl for Halloween (Daphne, from Scooby Doo fame) and how she let him. It's a beautiful post, and heartbreaking, too, because when they arrive at his preschool they're confronted by some pretty nasty comments from other mothers.

Her post included these amazing lines:

If you think that me allowing my son to be a female character for Halloween is somehow going to ‘make’ him gay then you are an idiot. Firstly, what a ridiculous concept. Secondly, if my son is gay, OK. I will love him no less. Thirdly, I am not worried that your son will grow up to be an actual ninja so back off.




The post went viral (including this clip on the Today Show.)

On Feb 3rd Sarah posted that her church (turns out it was a church preschool) pastor is now threatening her, saying that she's in the wrong and that if she doesn't remove the post, consider shutting down her blog, apologize to the women she anonymously referred to as Moms A, B and C and stop "promoting gayness" that he'll refuse to give her communion and basically kick her out of not just their congregation but their whole denomination (so she couldn't transfer to another church.)

And she rightly called it what it was. She's being bullied. For being tolerant, and loving, and wanting her son to grow up to be the wonderful kid that he authentically is.

It's pretty outrageous, and I needed to share.

Namaste,
Lee

9 comments:

Jaye Robin Brown said...

Oh grrrrr. I saw that woman's blog and it was beautiful. Well, it's pretty clear who's the jerk here.

Jonathon Arntson said...

A CNN article actually lead me to her blog and I was touched by her levelheaded parenting.

I kind of think of her as a hero for what she's going though on the behalf of equality. But more importantly, she's doing it for her son.

This story is starting to sound like a novel set in a 1970' Georgia. Between the pastor, the threats, and Moms A, B, and C, I feel as though a Lifetime movie is not far behind.

I hope the national attention to the issue will get that pastor ousted and their denomination can start joining the rest of the world.

ivanova said...

Her pastor is full of hate and she'd be better off without that congregation. If the whole denomination is okay with what the pastor is doing, she's better off without them too. I hear tell there are lots of religious groups out there and perhaps some of them are based on love and respect. And may even have their own preschools.

Anonymous said...

Lee this is a sad story, but I'm glad the boy's mom is proud of her son no matter what. This is a good thing.

Anonymous said...

There's certainly nothing new about churches and/or heads of churches bullying people, but what a shame that it's happening here and now. Will this ever be a thing of the past?

Laura Ludwig Hamor said...

A great mother!
A lucky kid!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, that gave me chills-especially the pastor threatening her. Glad she is speaking out.

Sally Bibrary said...

There are so many things I want to say to/about the Pastor, but I realise it's a futile effort.

Instead, I'll just add my kudos for Mom - she's a remarkably special woman, and I wish my mother had been half as loving and open.

No matter who he grows up t be, her son is a lucky child.

Elizabeth O Dulemba said...

She's so well spoken and brave - I'm her new fan. e