Friday, February 25, 2011

The Rainbow Project's 2011 Rainbow List Is OUT... How many have YOU read so far?!



This is the fourth year that the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered Round Table and the Social Responsibilities Round Table of the American Library Association have put out their Rainbow List -
"an annual bibliography of quality books with significant and authentic GLBTQ content, which are recommended for people from birth through eighteen years of age."
There are 32 books featured in The 2011 Rainbow Project List - including biographies, non-fiction, picture books, and middle grade and young adult novels - and they give a short summary of what each book is about!

And this year, they've chosen their top 10 titles (marked on their list with an *)

It's a wonderful way to check in to see how many you've read... and to build your own to-read pile!

I was pretty shocked to realize that I've only read TWO of these 32 books so far. Yikes! And at the same time, Hurray! That means I've got some wonderful reading ahead of me...

So, how about it? How many of these titles have you read so far, and which ones are you super excited to read?

Namaste,
Lee

12 comments:

Dawn Embers said...

Interesting list. I've read 0 of the books on it so far, but not surprising since I'd only heard of one. Even after doing research, I hadn't heard of those books. I have others on my to-read list though. I'm trying to find more to read since I write glbtq fiction. Right now, my goal is to read at least 5 books that qualify.

Sally Bibrary said...

Some great picks there. Wildthorn, A Love Story Starring My Dead Best Friend, and Jumpstart the World were already on my to-read list, but I've added Love Drugged, The Less Dead, and God Loves Hair.

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Hi Dawn, I think that's a great goal! There are some GLBTQ reading challenges different bloggers are doing - it's great to set some targets about reading great books (especially in the category you write!)

And Sally, yes, this is one of the reasons I love this list - it's a super way to look at the best GLBTQ kid and teen books that came out in the past year, and for me it's especially great to see the nonfiction titles I don't focus on here!

thanks, and Namaste,
Lee

Roof Beam Reader said...

Hmm. I'll be bookmarking that list. I'm reading one now (Jumpstart the World) and I've read one other (Will Grayson, Will Grayson). Looks like I've got some more reading to do!

Anonymous said...

So happy to find my India on this Rainbow Top Ten, and on your blog. Thank you. Let's hear it for literature's urge to be inclusive and true to life!
Happy author/illustrator,
Charlotte

Anonymous said...

For those who are interested, I have an interview with Lynn Everts, chair of the Rainbow Project committee, here.

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Charlotte,
you keep writing kid books with significant GLBTQ characters and/or content, and I'll keep telling the world about them!
Namaste,
Lee

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Dana - great article. I really liked that bit about how the Rainbow list gives Librarians some support if someone squawks about a title being "too gay" they can pull the list out and say, hey look - it's an ALA recommended book!
Thanks for sharing,
Namaste,
Lee

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this, Lee. What a delicious array of books! First on my to-read list is WILDTHORN.

I'm so glad you do what you do!
Be well,
Mary

ivanova said...

I read five, and I'm VERY excited to see this list and read some of the others on it. Thank you for posting it!

Ishta Mercurio said...

Wow - this looks like a great list! I haven't read any of them yet (shame), but I recognize at least two from my TBR pile. So I will get to them!

I'm glad there are organizations that put together lists like this. It's hard enough to find books that don't cater to the majority, whether we're talking about race or sexuality or even lifestyle preferences. It's great when someone decides to do something about that and puts together a list like this that makes things more accessible.

Library Lynn said...

How exciting more and more people are finding the list!!!!! I was chair last year and again this year, so I adore the positive comments...and Charlotte, thanks for writing great books! :)

If you know of any books for ages birth to 18, drop me a note. Our publication window is July 2010 to December 2011.

Also, if you have questions, don't hesitate to give me a holler!

And THANKS so much for putting the list out there! Lynn Evarts, LEvarts@aol.com