Monday, February 7, 2011

Sir Ken Robinson On Changing Education Paradigms

This is so thought-provoking. (And while it's almost 12 minutes long, trust me, it's worth it.)

But before you watch it, take this challenge: How many uses can you think of for a paper clip? Make a list, or count them out. Once you've come up with as many as you can, you're good to go. And yes, it comes up in the video, about eight and a half minutes in:




I love the animation - how it reinforces what he's saying, but I also find his message fascinating.

I mean, ADHD (attention deficit disorder) being geographically determined? He's right, that's crazy.

And I completely believe that the more engaged you can be in something, the more you'll learn! (It's not a chore to learn about what you love - when you're fully alive in those Aesthetic Experiences you WANT to learn about it!)

The whole bit about a factory mentality in our schools, with the date of manufacture being the most important thing kids have in common was right-on.

And the bit about our educational system actually harming our ability to think creatively - to achieve divergent thinking - is shocking... especially because it feels accurate. This was always my personal challenge with multiple choice questions, because I could always come up with ways that more than one answer would work.

Fascinating.

What do you think?

Namaste,
Lee

p.s. My thanks to Asako for sharing this video with me!

3 comments:

Jonathon Arntson said...

Yes! I just watched this at TED.com a few days ago. I am going into education and the video gave me a lot of food for thought. I am scared of the challenges we face with our education system, but I think things will remain the same if our society does not start working for a better education. What I mean is that the average American person only sees education in the news when a new ranking comes out and shows the US at number 19 for test scores or some other sensational statistic that has little to do with how are students are performing intelligence-wise. And so, I am not sure what part I'll have in this in the future of education, but I am excited about the possibilities.

Greg Pincus said...

It's a great video - and if you want a really fascinating experience, watch it with some school-age kids. The idea of solving the underlying issues - the paradigm - rather than slapping on band-aids works for me. Harder, though, I think... particularly when so many folks have so much experience with the current system.

Anonymous said...

As an elementary teacher I both agree and disagree with the picture created by this video at the elementary level. I think the problem right now is the duo nature of thought in schools, often by the same people. Students must collaborate, but they need to take standardized tests alone. Teachers must differentiate at all times, but the tests are all the same. We are being asked to do two things at once, teach the child to meet and exceed standards and work at his or her own appropriate level, and it makes no sense. We find ourselves feeling like chickens with our heads cut off, and planning for exciting curriculum activites then spending days on end giving test prep. It's exhausting.