Monday, February 28, 2011

The power of reading out loud: One Gay Second Grader's Life-Changing Experience of Hearing His Teacher Read "Stuart Little" aloud to his class

Sheila, blogging over at The Sheila Variations, posted this beautiful article, "An Ode to E.B. White and a Very Special Teacher."

Go check it out. I'll wait.

Honestly, I got all choked up there at the end...

I'd never thought of Stuart Little as such an empowering Gay-positive story, but I'm all excited to read it again. In fact, I'm going to read it aloud, to my child.



I found out about this from Alexis O'Neill, who together with Rick Walton, has been encouraging folks to share their "read-aloud" stories at www.whyreadaloud.wordpress.com The stories readers (and listeners) have left in their comment section are really wonderful - and you can add your own.

And now, to E.B. White's Stuart Little. You can read the first lines along with me, and of course, read them aloud!

Chapter One: In the Drain

When Mrs. Frederick C. Little's second son arrived, everybody noticed that he was not much bigger than a mouse. The truth of the matter was, the baby looked very much like a mouse in every way.


Namaste,
Lee

5 comments:

Kate @Midnight Book Girl said...

Thank you for sharing this! Just one good teacher can make a huge difference in the life of a child. I hope every teacher gets a chance to read Sheila's blog post.

C. Zampa said...

This made my day. Thank you for sharing it. Beautiful, it was simply beautiful.

Sheila O'Malley said...

Lee - I am so touched that you found my post, and very touched by your words here. You've got a great website going, and I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on Stuart Little. What a LIFE CHANGER.

Best to you and your family,
Sheila

Robert Guthrie said...

This made my day.

C. Zampa said...

I made a comment earlier, but it never showed up for some reason.

But thank you for sharing this. How touching and powerful.