Monday, March 19, 2012

One - a picture book about bullying for the youngest kids!

ONE by Kathryn Otoshi

This picture book is brilliant.

Personified colors interact.  Red (a red dot) teases Blue (a blue dot), and makes Blue feel small.

The other colors are afraid to stand up to Red, who gets bigger and bigger.



When someone new comes along, the titular ONE, and Red tries to bully them, too, something different happens.  ONE stands up. 

How all the colors (including Blue) learn to stand up to Red, and how Red figures out they can do things differently is the heart of this beautiful story.

"ONE" would be a great conversation-starter (and read-aloud) about bullying and standing up for yourself and others.  It would work for pre-schoolers all the way up to bigger kids.  Heck, I'm an adult, and I loved it, too.

The art is beautiful - and like the story, seems simple but there's so much heart to discover in it.

"ONE" is a picture book I wish had been read to me when I was a little kid.

It's a book you should get, and share, and discuss.

Namaste,
Lee

ps- my thanks to Essia Cartoon-Fredman, the librarian at Pressman Academy in Los Angeles, for telling me about "One," and how they've used it as a read-aloud with their Kindergarteners.

2 comments:

pamlovesbooks said...

i have GOT to get my hands on this book. its a great way to teach acceptance too.

Juana Martinez-Neal said...

I have to get this book! Thanks for the post, Lee!