Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Marlborough School's Alliance Club's "Gay Of The Week" Is... Me!

The white board at Marlborough School showing me as their Alliance Gay of the Week!
I loved going to Marlborough School in Los Angeles last week and presenting my Smashing Stereotypes! Workshop to a psychology class of 11th and 12th graders, sharing my SAFE SPACE: Ending Anti-Gay Bullying in our Culture... and at YOUR School Assembly with the entire 8th grade, meeting with the school's Gay-Straight Alliance club, and then working with the wonderful librarians to pull books from their collection and set up a special display to encourage students to read deeper and broader - books about GLBTQ teens, books about teens who are like the students themselves, and books about teens who are different from them - so they can see and internalize our shared humanity.

An absolute highlight was my lunchtime Q&A with Marlborough's Alliance.  The students had prepared lots of questions in advance, and the discussion was fantastic.

Dr. Banner, the club's faculty advisor, wrote after my visit to share the news with me:

I thought you'd like to hear that at our meeting on Friday, you were unanimously voted the Alliance Gay of the Week. This places you in the august company of Vonn Walker, Ellen DeGeneres, Zachary Quinto, Dan Savage, and Albus Dumbledore, some of our past honorees. :)

I am incredibly honored.

Being named Marlborough's Alliance Gay of the Week has made my year.

Thank you, students of Alliance!

Namaste,
Lee

5 comments:

ivanova said...

Wow, tres cool!

Anonymous said...

Dumbledore?

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Thanks ivanova!

And Anonymous March 12, 2012 8:46 PM, YES! Dumbledore was gay - J.K. Rowling revealed it after the final book in the series was published. (more here: http://www.leewind.org/2010/11/special-saturday-post-whos-your-harry.html)

Namaste,
Lee

Anonymous said...

Hi, Lee Wind person who I'm not exactly sure what to call!
I'm Catalina, in 8th grade at Marlborough as well as Alliance, and I was absolutely DELIGHTED to hear you speak (especially twice in a row). Some of my friends and I were the origins of the idea of having you as our gay of the week, and I don't regret it. You most certainly deserve to be classified with Dumbledore and Zachary Quinto :)

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Aww, THANKS Catalina! And thanks to your whole club - meeting with you all was awesome!
Namaste,
Lee