Thursday, March 22, 2012

Omar Sharif Jr. (grandson of the famous actor) Comes Out as Gay and Half-Jewish, and asks if there's a place for him in the New Egypt

Omar Sharif, Jr. as photographed in his coming out story in the Advocate


In this amazing open letter/essay published in the Advocate, Omar writes:



"I write this article in fear.  Fear for my country, fear for my family, and fear for myself.  My parents will be shocked to read it, surely preferring I stay in the shadows and keep silent, at least for the time being. 

But I can't.

...That my mother is Jewish is no small disclosure when you are from Egypt, no matter the year.  And being openly gay has always meant asking for trouble, but perhaps especially during this time of political and social upheaval.  With the victories of several Islamist parties in recent elections, a conversation needs to be had and certain questions need to be raised.  I ask myself:

Am I welcome in the new Egypt?

Will being Egyptian, half Jewish, and gay forever remain mutually exclusive identities?  Are they identities to be hidden?"


It's brave, and awesome, and I applaud Omar for Standing Up for himself and others!

Namaste,
Lee

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I applaud him as well. It's not easy when it's done but it makes one feel free afterwards... Thanks for sharing.

Stacey~