Friday, August 21, 2009

Jacqui Robbins reads her kids BANNED Books - Why Don't We ALL do that, too?

One of the fantastic things about going to SCBWI International Conferences is getting to meet the people that fill this world of children's literature!

At the recent LA SCBWI Summer Conference (check out the amazing conference blog here!), one of the fascinating people I met was Jacqui Robbins. Jacqui was kind enough to let me share this story about her reading a Banned Book with her child!

Check this out:



And here's the banned book they read together:





You can click here to find out more about the controversy in 1959 over the book's

"...integrationist propaganda..."


Isn't reading YOUR child a Banned Book a great idea?

Namaste,
Lee

4 comments:

pussreboots said...

I read banned books to my kids. The most recent one we read was And Tango Makes Three. Their reaction: "But what's wrong with it? It's about families!" :)

MotherReader said...

Isn't it funny how very quaint the arguments seem against banned books - or other socially banned ideas - when we get a little perspective. I look forward to the day when future library students look at "And Tango Makes Three" and say, "This was the #1 banned book in America? Are you kidding me?"

S3XinthePantry said...

Oh, I visited Jacqui's blog so it was really great to see the video!
Yes, we're all about banned books here...my Mom let me read everything including true crime when I wasn't even double digits.
read, read, read, read, read

Amber Lough said...

But...but....but....putting dandelions in your ears IS bad for you!!! ;-)