Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Boy Who Cried Fabulous


By Leslea Newman, illustrated by Peter Ferguson

Roger is very enthusiastic. About EVERYthing. He's constantly distracted, and late for EVERYthing. Like school.

His teacher's not pleased about that.

His parents are mad, too.

They decide that for an entire day of their outing on the town, Roger is not allowed to say the word "fabulous."

Roger struggles to obey...

But he knows that

the world's too wondrous to ignore!



Told in a rhyming pattern that had my kid jumping in to say the final word, and read in our house many many many times, "The Boy Who Cried Fabulous" is a wonderful picture book.

Now, I'm not saying Roger is "gay" - he might be, he might not be - that's not what the book is about. It's about his irrepressible spirit, and a joy for life, that is catching. And I see that fabulous-ness in the Gay community. And often the larger community doesn't celebrate that sense of fabulous excess - especially in men. Especially in boys, who are often told to "Tone it down." "Butch it up." "Act like a man."

So, whoever Roger will grow to love, woman or man, I love the sense of infinite possibilities for a life of joy that this book holds out for every reader. I love that it's a little campy, and that the lush illustrations make me think of a 1950s world.

And I wish this picture book had been read to me when I was a little kid... But I'll have to content myself with enjoying it now. And you should, too!


Add your review of "The Boy Who Cried Fabulous" in comments!

3 comments:

BJW said...

I love that title. Thanks Lee. Will be looking for it.

Thanks for all the great posts about the conference too. Nearly like I was there, okay not quite, but it was still real cool and helpful.

John (johnnie_cakes) said...

Sounds fabulous! I'll have to pick this one up.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE this book! I bought it for our youth program's library years back. The kids love it as well!