Monday, December 1, 2008

Books Still To Come (I'll get to them ASAP!)

  • After Tupac and D Foster (friends and family of GLBTQ) by Jacqueline Woodson
  • Blue Coyote (G) by Liza Ketchum
  • Box Girl (GLBTQ Parents) by Sarah Withrow
  • Boy2Girl (Q,T) by Terence Blacker
  • Breaking Boxes (friends and family of GLBTQ) by A.M. Jenkins
  • Clay's Way (G) by Blair Mastbaum
  • Dare Truth or Promise (L) by Paula Boock
  • Desert Sons (G) by Mark Kendrick
  • Dream Boy (G) by Jim Grimsley
  • Drowning of Stephan Jones, The (Homophobia Theme) by Bette Greene
  • Eagle Kite, The (GLBTQ Parent/Caretaker) by Paula Fox
  • Earthshine (GLBTQ Parent/Caretaker) by Teresa Nelson
  • Finding H F (G,L) by Julia Watts
  • Fruit (G,?) by Brian Francis
  • Hey, Dollface (L) by Deborah Hautzig
  • If It Doesn't Kill You (GLBTQ Parent/Caretaker) by Margaret Bechard
  • Into This World We're Thrown (G) by Mark Kendrick
  • Jack (GLBTQ Parent/Caretaker) by A.M. Homes
  • Just A Boy (G) by Rob Clinger
  • Last Exit To Normal, The (GLBTQ Parent/Caretaker) by Michael Harmon
  • Leave Myself Behind (G) by Bart Yates
  • Letters in the Attic (L) by Bonnie Shimko
  • Method, The (ensemble includes GLBTQ) by Paul Robery Walker
  • My Father's Scar (G) by Michael Cart
  • My Heartbeat (G,?) by Garret Freymann-Weyr
  • My Tiki Girl (L) by Jennifer McMahon
  • Name Me Nobody (friends and family of GLBTQ) by Lois Ann Yamanaka
  • No Big Deal (GLBTQ Parent/Caretaker) by Ellen Jaffe McClain
  • Now That I Know (GLBTQ Parent/Caretaker) by Norma Klein
  • Orphea Proud (L) by Sharon Dennis Wyeth
  • Out of the Shadows (L) by Sue Hines
  • Peter (?,G) by Kate Walker
  • Pretty Things (G,L) by Sarra Manning
  • Realm of Possibility, The (ensemble includes GLBTQ) by David Levithan
  • Ruby (L) by Rosa Guy
  • Son Called Gabriel, A (G) by Damian NcNicholl
  • Talk (G) by Kathe Koja
  • Tomorrow, Wendy: A Love Story (L) by Shelley Stoehr
  • Tripping To Somewhere (Q) by Kristopher Reisz
  • Twelve Days in August (friends and family of GLBTQ) by Liza Ketchum
  • Unlived Affections (G) by George Shannon
  • What's In A Name (ensemble includes GLBTQ) by Ellen Wittlinger and John Mathias

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't miss "Ash" by Malinda Lo- it's a lesbian retelling of Cinderella. I haven't read it yet (it came out 9/1/09), but I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Anonymous said...

You might want to check out The Vast Fields of Ordinary by Nick Burd. I thought, for the most part, it was entertaining, but there is a second story line that I felt never connected to the main story. I have given this to many students who have really liked it.

Unknown said...

Almost Perfect was superb! Excellent exploration of a transgender teen and a compelling and poignant story. Great writing.

Jared Karol said...

I'm so glad you have this site. . . i teach sixth grade language arts, and am trying to build my LGBTQ section on my classroom shelf. I teach at a progressive independent school that celebrates pride day as a school, and we are encouraged and expected to infuse LGBTQ issues into our curriculum. Do you have any specific suggestions for the 11-13 year old age group? I've read several books and some our just too mature for sixth graders. . . any suggestions you have would be appreciated.

Jared

Christine said...

David Levithan and John Green recently came out with a new book called "Will Grayson, Will Grayson". Its really good, I couldn't put it down!

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Everybody, thanks for your suggestions. I'll be updating this list soon.

Jared, thanks for you kind words. Check out the middle grade bookshelf on this site as a place to start.

Namaste,
Lee

Ysen said...

Books you may want to consider : Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner and its sequel The Fall of the Kings by E. Kushner & Delia Sherman.

They're fantasy, though very light on the magical or supernatural elements. Each have a male pair of lovers as protagonists.

The third book while delightful too may be less within the scope of your blog, starring a headstrong female heroine who takes up the rather masculine business of learning swordmanship.

Steph said...

You don't have "The Less-Dead," by April Lurie? I picked it up on a whim without even realizing it was gay, and then I realized the plot synopsis sounded familiar. I was sure I read about it here, but I guess I must have run across it while I was researching for my paper last semester. There's also a cool section at the end of the book that that summarizes the main passages of the Bible that people use to condemn homosexuality, and how that's not really what they say.

Anonymous said...

Have you read/reviewed Malorie Blackman's

Boys don't cry

Got it recently from a library (UK) and was really moved by aspects of it. Story mainly about a boy left holding a baby, but sub plot around his gay brother and the events in the family come across powerfully - well worth a read. Hope it's relevant
Chris

Anonymous said...

I've just started reading "The Miseducation of Cameron Post," I haven't finished it yet, but it looks really promising :) Could be something to look into for your booklist.

Anonymous said...

A really good book for this is "The Summer I Wasn't Me"
It is about a girl that goes to a camp for de-gayifing and then decides to just be herself. It is really great please check it out

Anonymous said...

hey i'm not sure if this post is still going but i suggest you check out Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld. it's fantastic.