Friday, October 2, 2020

My Debut Picture Book Is Announced! RED AND GREEN AND BLUE AND WHITE will be published by Levine Querido in 2021

I have been dreaming of having a picture book manuscript I wrote deemed good enough for an agent to love, good enough for a publisher to love, good enough for an amazing illustrator to love for a very long time. Like 16 years.

So it is with immense delight that I share the announcement that just happened yesterday in Publishers Weekly's Children's Bookshelf:

The announcement text reads:

Arthur Levine at Levine Querido has acquired world rights to Lee Wind's (l.) debut picture book, Red and Green and Blue and White, inspired by the true story of how an entire town stood up to hate during the Chanukah / Christmas season. Caldecott Medalist Paul O. Zelinsky will illustrate; publication is slated for 2021. Marietta Zacker at Gallt & Zacker represented the author, and the artist represented himself.

It is a moment of ebullient gratitude... to my amazing agent Marietta Zacker, for loving this story enough to find it a publishing home. To the story's legendary editor, publisher Arthur A. Levine for loving it enough to acquire it and share it with readers everywhere. To the story's celebrated and oh-so-talented illustrator, Paul O. Zelinsky (!!!) who is taking my words and fashioning magic on the page. Magic, I tell you. Magic.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Thanks as well to my friend (and elementary school librarian) Yapha Mason, who introduced me to to the true story eight years ago.

I'm so excited to introduce kids – and the world – to this story of friendship between two kids (one who celebrates Chanukah, the other who celebrates Christmas) who together inspire an entire town to stand up for each other, to stand up for community, to stand up for love.

I can't wait for you all to read it.

The light in me recognizes and acknowledges the light in you,

Lee

4 comments:

KarolinaS said...

I am ridiculously excited for you and glad you finally get to share this news publicly! I, too, dream of getting a PB I wrote into the hands of children and parents/caregivers one day...hopefully sometime soon. Much love and congrats my friend!

Mary Malhotra said...

What wonderful news!!! Exciting to be paired with Paul O. Zelinsky, and at Levine Querido! and your story pitch brough tears to my eyes. Looking forward to buying this book!

Rita said...

CONGRATULATIONS, LEE.
This is SUCH wonderful news!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 !!!!!!!!! <3 <3

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Thanks, Karol, Mary, and Rita! I so appreciate your kind words! Can't wait for you to see and read it.
Gratefully,
Lee