Friday, October 30, 2020

100 Years of Photos of Gay Men In Love - a photo book of male couples from 1850-1950

 This book, as written about on Hyperallergic, sounds so cool!


Were they all Gay? Were they really in romantic love, or were they just friends. Some photos it's hard to tell. Others, it's pretty clear...


Photograph, 1910, 113 x 69 mm, provenance: US
Note: “Rocky Nook Labor Day 1910” (image courtesy of the Nini-Treadwell Collection © “Loving” by 5 Continents Editions)

In their article about "Loving: A Photographic History of Men in Love 1850s–1950s," Hrag Vartanian writes, "Flipping through the book, it wasn’t that I felt that I learned a great deal about being LGBTQ, but what gave me comfort was the feeling that we’re not going anywhere. Seeing ourselves in the past is as much about being certain of our present and, dare I say, our future." and I think that's so true. Knowing our Queer past emboldens us to claim our place today, and lets us imagine a future that can be amazing!

I'm really excited to check this one out.

Have you seen it? Add your review of "Loving: A Photographic History of Men in Love 1850s–1950s" in comments!

My thanks to Karol, my Dad, and the other folks who made sure I knew about this, so I could share it with you!

No comments: