Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Texas town elects openly Gay Bruno “Ralphy” Lozano their mayor

I thought this news from last month was really cool.



“Stonewall happened because drag queens and a minority group stood up to animosity, and I had to go back in the closet [while in the Air Force] because of that same hatred,” [Bruno] told IntoMore.com. “I know what that was like, and it translates to today’s campaign. I’m not going to bow down. I am who I am. Accept me or not.”

The headline angle on how Bruno likes wearing heels felt sensationalized (the old stereotype that all gay men want to dress like/be women), but maybe that's my internalized sense of things being homophobic (and some internalized homophobia, too.) — maybe there's a generational shift happening here, and it's just a shrug - oh, he wore high heels to a Veterans Day parade. (Which, as a Veteran, is a pretty nice way of protesting the military's old "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy.)

Bottom line: the fact that Bruno was elected by his small Texas town is a moment of hope, and pride.

And, just because it's such good, happy news, here's a smiling photo of Mayor Lozano:



The light in me recognizes and acknowledges the light in you,
Lee


No comments: