Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Gender 101 is back (Redux and Finale!): Episode #1: Don't Box Me In

One of the projects I'm proudest of here at this blog is my video series called Gender 101. It's an exploration of Gender Queer identity through a series of short documentary-style interviews. I've shared 35 videos in the series so far, but there are new ones still to come.

My conversations with Benji (also known as Lucy) and their Gender Queer friends made me really think, re-consider my own gender biases, and stand up proudly as an ally to the gender queer, gender fluid, and gender non-conforming community.

Since I love these discussions so much, and to "ramp us up" to the series' finale, I'll be running the Gender 101 series videos here on Wednesdays, starting today.

The Facebook and Twitter comments from the original postings are a bit lost in the ether, but I'll share the blog comments from the first posting and we can all pick up the conversation there.

Thanks for going on this journey with me, through Gender 101!

Namaste (the light in me recognizes and acknowledges the light in every one of you,)
Lee

Gender 101 episode #1: Don't Box Me In

Gender.

You're born either a boy or a girl, right?

It can seem so cut and dry to many of us... But if we look closer, at others (and sometimes even at ourselves), gender can be much more complicated. Much more interesting. Much more.

But Gender is something that is rarely spoken of in our culture.

With the help of a new friend, we're going to change that, one short webisode (or if you prefer, vlog) at a time.

So please, meet Lucy. I mean, meet Benji. I mean both. And hang out with us while we talk - and you can learn right along with me.

Presenting

GENDER 101: Don't Box Me In




4 comments:

Anonymous said...
I have to say that this person is giving me a better education on gender than I could have ever hoped for. I say check the additional box that is titled Brilliant/Thought Provoking/Brave/A Total Whole Person/
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
March 30, 2011 at 3:16 PM

maddox said...
Thank you for posting this. I often find that generally others, even some gay people, do not fully understand the implications of being gender-variant. It's important for others to question the status quo and question themselves in this aspect, so we can understand each other better.
April 2, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Kenneth said...
Great series so far (I've watched in reverse order). Something I really wanted to stress with this video that I think is maybe lacking a little, is the fact that biological sex and gender identity and expression are not the same thing. Benji (from what I can tell) is biologically female, but expresses gender in a different way by bringing in components of both masculinity and femininity. Sex isn't a feeling, it's a mostly static identity, but gender is fluid, and as Benji describes in the video, can change depending on the person and the situation.
I hope you don't mind, but I would love to share this video with my gender studies students, so they can hear from someone outside the gender dichotomy about gender expression.
February 6, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...
Hi Kenneth -
absolutely share the videos with your students! (Where - and to what age students - do you teach gender studies?
best,
Lee
February 6, 2013 at 3:38 PM

No comments: