Monday, May 28, 2012

A great post: "I'm Christian, Unless You're Gay" ...and a response that will touch your heart







Go read this blog post, I'm Christian, Unless You're Gay.

The author, Dan Pierce, lives in a small community where one of his friends, Jacob, is 27 and gay... and Dan is the only friend Jacob has.

Dan talks about what religions teach... love, kindness, friendship, and how that gets forgotten in the need many of us have to be better than others.


And now, you have to read this follow up post, about a mother's response when her 15 year old son came home with a copy of the "I'm Christian, Unless You're Gay" article with a homework assignment to write an essay in response.  It includes her son's essay, and what happened because of that.

It's powerful stuff.

Because standing up with love, against hate, is powerful, and healing, and transformative.

Be empowered.


Namaste,
Lee


ps -My thanks to Alex for letting me know about this post.


4 comments:

Beth Stilborn said...

Thank you, Lee. That is so powerful. Actually, I'd read the mother's response before, but I'd not read the article it responded to. Together, they pack quite a punch. May more and more people be able to see that love is what we ALL need to be about.

Namaste,

Beth

Book Dragon said...

Dan said it so much better than I could. Thank you so much for sharing.

On a different note, just an FYI, I read Stamped Out by Terri Thayer recently. Daughter is the main character but she works with her father and his partner, Vince.

The Pen and Ink Blogspot said...

Wow!
Susan

Ms. Yingling said...

Thanks for sharing this. I know a lot of people who will want to read it. Since I am not Christian, I have never understood the visceral hatred of so many groups that Christians show. I do know better than to point out to divorced Christian people that the Bible isn't very keen on divorce, either!