Monday, May 7, 2012

Dan Savage on the Hypocrisy of using the Bible as justification for anti-gay bullying

This is brilliant.

Mind, Dan doesn't pull any punches, and uses words that might be objectionable to some.  And he's getting a lot of flack for this part of his speech, for allegedly attacking Christianity.  Dan himself said that he feels he was really attacking hypocrisy.




"I have a right to defend myself, and to point out the hypocrisy of people who justify anti-gay bigotry by pointing to the Bible and insisting we must live by the code of Leviticus on this one issue and no other."

Bravo, Dan!

Namaste,
Lee


ps - thanks to my husband for sharing this with me! You Rock!

3 comments:

Heather said...

People claim Dan is attacking Christianity because that's easier than admitting they are hypocrites. I was saddened to see how many people walked out without listening to what Dan had to say, deliberately closing their minds. I'll be sharing this video-thanks to your husband for the great find!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Heather. It was sad to see people leaving, many of them looking proud of themselves. I suspect that when they heard "Bible" coupled with "BS," their minds shut down, and they fled. Of all the sad things about the breakdown of discourse in our country, perhaps the saddest is that we won't even LISTEN to each other any more. We won't even do that much!
I hope that, on their way out, they heard Dan's words about how the same source being used to condemn homosexuality was also used to justify slavery. I would like to hear from those who left the room: Do they think we should return to slavery?

Graeme Stone said...

Great post. And I think all of his points are well taken. Kids walked out, but a lot more stayed. And "bullshit" in a speech to kids. Please, they use the "f" word in texts. I would love to have seen some exit interviews too.