Monday, January 23, 2012

Today is the start of No Name-Calling Week!

Inspired by James Howe's awesome MG novel THE MISFITS, No Name-Calling Week is a wonderful real-world event.

With lesson plans (for elementary, middle and high school), resources, and even art lessons - No Name-Calling Week is a great event to know about - and to integrate into your life and school.

Imagine our world being one where no one said "gay" or "lame" or "bitch" as a negative. 

Think about the names you're heard - and maybe even the ones you've said.  We have the opportunity to recognize that our words are powerful... and we can use that power for good!  And we can start right now!

Namaste,
Lee

8 comments:

Mrs. Silverstein said...

Thanks for mentioning "lame"--that's the one I have to police in myself the most. Until a discussion about language like this in grad school, I just stupidly never put that use of lame together with the idea of physically disabled people. It still slips out now and again because I used it for so long, but I really try not to use it, most especially in front of my students. But it does give me some perspective on why my students often look so baffled when I tell them that using "gay" to mean stupid is an absolute no-go in my classroom--I think a lot of them don't even put together the real meaning of what they are saying. It's why I stop and have the conversation every. single. time.

ivanova said...

Kid lit changing the world! James Howe set off something great.

Annie said...

What a great idea! Like Mrs. Silverstein, I rarely think of the background to "lame" if I say it. No Name-Calling Week is a fantastic opportunity to consider how all words have meaning and the potential to harm, even if you don't consider yourself a bully.

Ali B said...

Let's hope it spreads to every week. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

maddox said...

Thanks for sharing Lee - I am passing it on to my LGBT Speaker's Group so we can be more prepared.

Christy Rush-Levine said...

Let the celebration of tolerance, kindness, and acceptance begin!

The Pen and Ink Blogspot said...

Lee I stopped by because in blogg hopping today I discovered this blog and I wanted to share it with you.
http://thisisnotthatblog.com/2011/05/31/five-ways-to-improve-your-workplace-with-sharks/

Agent Suzie Townsend had it posted on her blog.
Susan

Unknown said...

Love it. Hope this is the start of a kindness revolution.