Thursday, January 26, 2012

Inside the lives of LGBTQ Teens Today: "My Queer Testimony"

This Tumblr site, My Queer Testimony, has some great stuff!


The "My Queer Testimony" Tumblr page


I really liked this testimony by Patrick,


who writes on the difference to him between identifying as gay versus identifying as queer:
"‘Gay’ is really nice and friendly and, you know, you’re friends with all the really nice girls and you look pretty and wear your v-neck sweaters and you want to maintain your privilege. You don’t want to step on anyone’s toes and you don’t want to be in-your-face. ‘Queer’ is in-your-face and calling people out and not being afraid to speak your mind and that’s more me, more of what I’m about. I like ‘queer.’ I am ‘queer.’"

And Janet Mock's story of growing up as a transgender teen is powerful.  And you have to read this poem by Rex.

The site includes photos, videos, essays, heartfelt birthday wishes and organizations fighting for LGBTQ equality.  Be aware, it does include some adult content (like the bisexual rapper Imani's lyrics.) 

Awesome and diverse, My Queer Testimony is well worth checking out.

Namaste,
Lee

1 comment:

Avi de Turenne said...

What an amazing site. I hope word goes out and it becomes the go-to site for teens to see the faces and voices and words of their peers.