Wednesday, September 15, 2010

It's My Blog Birthday - 3 Years of posts on GLBTQ Teen Books, Culture and Politics!!!

Have a virtual cupcake. Go ahead - they're delicious. And guilt-free!

Wow.

3 Years.

More than 369,000 page loads. Over 219,000 unique visitors. And topping 25,000 repeat visitors!

Readers from over 100 countries around the world. And so far,

129 books with Gay Teen Characters/Themes

69 books with Lesbian Teen Characters/Themes

8 books with Bisexual Teen Characters/Themes

6 books with Transgender Teen Characters/Themes

18 books with Questioning Teen Characters/Themes

13 books with Queer (Gender Non-Conforming) Teen Characters/Themes

23 books with an Ensemble that includes GLBTQ Teen Characters

35 books with a GLBTQ Parent/Caretaker

9 books on Friends and Family of GLBTQ Characters

10 books with Homophobia as a Theme

16 GLBTQ YA Graphic Novels and Comics

1 Easy Reader/Chapter Book with GLBTQ (and Gender Non-Conforming) Content

15 Picture books I Wish Had Been Read To Me When I Was A Little Kid

2 Books with Surprise Gay (GLBTQ) Content

A GLBTQ Middle Grade Bookshelf

The Gay (GLBTQ) Fantasy Bookshelf

And, thanks to our fabulous first Summer Intern Hannah, 14 books in the GLBTQ Teen Short Story Bookshelf!


And more than those numbers, this blog is about Books revealed. Information shared. Lives touched.

"i'm seventeen, and i'm about to come out to my parents... i'm scared as hell, but i'm just so tired of hiding and lying. I always knew I would do it eventually, but when i read posts like yours, it gives me more courage and strength. Coming Out Day is in a few weeks:)
thank you :D"


"Love your "I'm here. I'm Queer." blog. It's help me find books I can relate to and those books have helped me through some really rough times."


"I think what you're doing is really great. I love reading lgbqt books because they're so much more interesting and realistic than the run-of-the-mill cliche love story. I have big issue with stereotypes and ignorant generalizations, and through reading these books one finds how unique all of our stories are. It's awesome that you've created a place where people can go to find these books."


This blog is part of a vibrant community engaged on culture, politics, and literature.


And my heart is so full of joy.


Thank you to all of you - my online community.

Hip-Hip Hurray! Hip-Hip Hurray! Hip-Hip Hurray!

Namaste,
Lee

37 comments:

Tasha said...

Congratulations Lee! Here's to many more years blogging!

fairyhedgehog said...

Happy Bloggiversary and Congratulations!

Jules at 7-Imp said...

Congratulations! Thank goodness for this resource.

Jonathon Arntson said...

Happy b-day!

Thanks for the consistent source of motivational information and for fighting the good fight

Charlotte said...

Happy birthday! I hope you keep blogging for many more years to come!

Zoe @ Playing by the book said...

Congratulations lee. I hope you get to have a real cupcake to celebrate! (Or at least a trip to the bookshop) :-)

Melissa said...

Congratulations Lee! I've only been blogging for 5 months, but hope one day to reach the 3 year mark as well. Keep up the good work. :)

Hayden said...

Rock on, Lee! :D I almost licked my laptop screen trying to get to the cupcakes. But that's what happens when I go online after a bout of insomnia.

Anonymous said...

Happy Blogaversary! You have offered up such great posts in the three years.

Jodie said...

Happy blog birthday! Can I get a virtual cheese straw too?;)

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Awww - thanks everyone for your kind words and wishes! It really feels like a party now!
Namaste,
Lee

Mary Ann - Reading, Writing, and Recipes said...

I'll join the party to say congratulations on three years of blogging.

Greg Pincus said...

I'm lucky enough to get to share cupcakes (or pasta, more commonly) with you in person, but I love having a party here, too. Congrats on three years and thanks, too, for the hard and important work you put in here.

Tarie said...

Happy Blog Birthday, Lee. =D

*hugs and kisses*

Hayden said...

Incidentally, today's also Agatha Christie's birthday. :) How about some LGBT YA mysteries, eh?

nutschell said...

Congratulations! May you have many more years of blogging ahead of you!

nutschell said...

Those cupcakes look yummy. Congratulations on your 3rd year! Hope to see many more posts in the coming years

Debbie said...

Happy birthday, Lee!

Every day's a celebration when I read your blog.

All the best!

Sheryl said...

Congrats and happy birthday. Great blog. Great resource.

Joan Charles said...

Congratulations, Lee - you've really made a difference! Here's to many more years of blogging success!

Esther Hershenhorn said...

YOU and your 3-year-old blog are certifibly Life-changing, Lee.
Mazel tov on your Blogiversary!
And thanks for the calorie-free cupcake.
Your Fan Esther Hershenhorn

Julie Musil said...

Lee, congratulations! And thanks for the calorie-free cupcake!

Dee White said...

Congratulations, Lee,

What a fantastic effort.

Looking forward to more great posts.

Laurie L Young said...

Congratulations Lee!! What an amazing accomplishment. You rock!

Nicole said...

Congrats, an awesome achievemnt :) May many more successful years follow! And your cupcakes made me hungry *wail*

http://damselinadirtydress.blogspot.com

Rita said...

Happy Blog Birthday, Lee!! :D

Sherrie Petersen said...

Congratulations, Lee!! I'm so glad you're here, queer and enlightening the blogosphere on what to read :)

Jen Robinson said...

Happy blog birthday, Lee! The Kidlitosphere wouldn't be the same without you!!

Mary Ann Scheuer said...

Hip - hip - hooray! Cupcakes and confetti! Thank you for your great reading ideas and contributing such a positive spirit (and ideas) to the kidlit community.

Hannah said...

Congratulations, Lee! You do great work and the kidlit world is richer for your commentary!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday and keep up those blogs. They are truly life changing. What a difference a blogger makes!!!!!!!!!!

rilla jaggia said...

Fabulous! And Congratulations, Lee. You rock!

Madigan Mirza said...

Congratulations Lee! Wow, three years... I can hardly believe how the time flies.
I love your blog. Thanks for sharing your unique and important take on things with us!

MicheleB said...

Congratulations and happy blog-birthday. What an amazing body of work you have. You deserve a mountain of cupcakes!

Sarah Stevenson said...

Lee, congrats and happy blogoversary! I'm so happy you're doing what you're doing, and I'm really glad to know you! Thanks for sharing your cupcakes and your celebration with us.

Lisa Jenn said...

Happy blogoversary, Lee! I hope you continue to draw our attention to queer happenings, pop culture, and especially literature for years to come!

Laura said...

Happy, Happy Blog Birthday, Lee! What a wonderful service you provide for people!

Laura Evans
all things poetry