Monday, September 6, 2010

My Article is Published in "Hunger Mountain, The Vermont College of Fine Arts Journal of the Arts!"


Hi Everyone,
I'm really excited about this!

Hunger Mountain is an amazing publication, and I'm quite honored to be included in the current issue, with my article,

"GLBTQ Teen Coming Out Stories: Move Beyond Them, or Keep ‘Em Coming?
An Imaginary Yang and Yin Dialog by One Writer of Two Minds"


I was asked by the editors, who run a column called "flipside" in the Young Adult and Children's Literature section of the journal if I would take one side of the argument: more GLBTQ Teen Coming out stories, or let's just move on. When I sat down to figure out which side I wanted to take, I realized I had strong feelings and beliefs on BOTH sides of it. So I took a chance, and wrote it out as a fun dialog between the two sides of my brain...

I liked it. The editors at Hunger Mountain liked it, and now you get to read it, too!

Anyway, I hope you check it out - and read the rest of the September issue as well.

Hunger Mountain is an amazing resource for the writing community and beyond, and I'm thrilled to be part of it.

Namaste,
Lee

4 comments:

Jan said...

Thanks for giving equal weight to both sides, Lee. Good discussion.

ivanova said...

Big ups to Lee! Great article, and Hunger Mountain is a classy magazine.

Tricia said...

I've been AWOL from blogging and I've missed you. Congratulations on a fine article.

Steph said...

I am unabashedly a bookworm, and freely admit that my mind is often a different place than most people's because it resides in the stories I read/write.

I think that I would have come out a lot sooner if I had read any gay stories that did not end at the coming out. It's the same reason I don't like love stories - characters hook up, happily ever after, the end. If the characters are in high school, there is always a part of my mind saying that they don't make it past the first year of college.

In fact, my coming out was precipitated by reading Sanchez's Rainbow Road (without having read the first two). Although most stories end with the coming out, mine does not. It is something I have to live with every day thereafter, and it's such a brief thing and doesn't even begin to encompass all the other problems and triumphs of post-initial coming out. Like what about outing to a college roommate? Or looking back at your one year anniversary (I never remember dates, but I don't think I will ever forget august 24th) and seeing how far you've come, that you've done things that you would have considered unbelieveable a year ago. I've been out for a year and have still never been in a romantic relationship, but I have a best friend who is also gay with who I MC'd an amateur dragshow. Now that's gay. Oh, and in middle school I had crippling stage fright like you would not believe.

So in my case at least, the story only becomes interesting after the coming out.

(though I would like a story where a character comes out as a lesbian within the text, because I have not yet found any of those)