Thursday, September 23, 2010

Dan Savage and his husband Terry tell GLBTQ Kids and Teens: It Gets Better

Watch this.

Please.

It could save lives.



In the aftermath of yet another Gay teen suicide, Justin, in Minnesota, in the news, I didn't know what to say. I didn't know what I could tell you all that you could do to help.

And another Gay teen suicide, Cody, in Wisconsin, announced today on Dan's Slog.

And then Dan and Terry DID this.

And watching this video could really help.

Watch it. Share it. Hear it.

Like Dan says: "The Bigots Don't Win"

and

Like Terry says: "Living Well Is The Best Revenge."


Terry: "We have really great lives together."

Dan: "And you can have a great life, too."



It Gets Better.

Believe Dan and Terry. And Believe Me.

It Gets Better!


If you're in crisis, or need to talk to someone, contact The Trevor Project, 866-4-U-TREVOR (866-488-7386)

My thanks to Dan and Terry for sharing this, and check out the it gets better project youtube channel for more it gets better videos!

Namaste,
Lee

6 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

I'm shocked that schools don't deal with gay bullying as toughly as they do racist bullying. It's appalling that all we can offer gay kids at high school is "put up with it now, it will be better when you're older".

Not to take away from the video. I'm just sad and angry that it's needed.

Leslie @ This is the Refrain said...

It absolutely breaks my heart that we have to make videos like this, but I'm so glad they are being made. I understand a lot of this, just replace high school with middle school and you have me. It wasn't because I was gay, but because I was fat. Every single day people said things, every single day I was bullied, sometimes in front of teachers who did nothing, often in front of the entire class. When I started losing weight, the rumors went around that I was anorexic. It never ended when I was within middle school walls. But what they say is true... the DAY you leave an environment like that is the day your life starts to get better. And you can make it that far, and your life only gets even more amazing from there. I love this video and will be sharing it with everyone I know. Thank you.

ivanova said...

Dan Savage is my hero! This is such a great idea.

I wish kids also knew that it is legal to leave school at ANY age, and they can homeschool/unschool. You do have to get your parents' permission for this, which is not possible for everyone. But homeschooling does not have to mean that your parents become your teachers, and you can still go to college.

Of course some kids who are desperate have worse trouble with their families than at school. Even that comes to an end. You get to leave home and live your own life. I liked when Dan Savage was saying you can make wonderful friends, find love, and a community. Some people's "families of origin" are abusive or hopelessly bigoted, but you can build your own family of people who really love and accept you.

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

fairyhedgehog, I'm sad and angry, too. And that's why I'm so glad this video and the project it's launching exists now!

Lu, thank you for sharing that. It's so true that it's not just GLBTQ kids that struggle with bullying, it's anyone who can be perceived as an "other" in our society. We need to tackle the whole mechanism whereby bullies feel 'better than' by making their victims 'less than.'

Ivanova, it's a great point. If school is untenable, there are options that could enable a kid to leave school right away - including the new GLBTQ Online High School. I'm so glad those options exist today!

Thanks to all of you for sharing.
Namaste,
Lee

Anonymous said...

Great meeting you at the mixer last night, Lee, and so glad I signed on to follow your blog so I could catch this important video. I recognize Dan Savage from "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" so I know he's bright and funny and certainly has a lot to be encouraging to young people about. Keep up the good work! (Also, check out my blog at CrateJumpHumor.blogspot.com)

Karly Kirkpatrick said...

great video guys! thanks for sharing! i'll post it on my FB page!