Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Heritage of Hastur - A Gay Teen Book


by Marion Zimmer Bradley


A gay teen character in a sci fi epic? Published in 1975? And I'm only finding out about it NOW? Well at least I can share it with you!



Regis Hastur is 15, heir to a Domain on Darkover. He hates his regimented life and all he wants is to escape the planet.

Lew is ten years older than Regis - and he's had to fight all his life to be accepted as heir of his father's Domain.

Neither guy gets what he wants... but they do get each other!



Check out this very in-depth and excellent review by Jo Walton at Tor.com And add your review of "The Heritage of Hastur" here in comments!

4 comments:

Sarah Laurenson said...

Regis is one of my favorite characters - ever! And there are a number of books that feature him in this part of the Darkover series.

I'll have to think about what other gay characters are out there and get back to you. I stopped thinking of them as being unusual a long time ago and so that part doesn't stick out for me.

Sarah Laurenson said...

Oh and Regis is not with Lew in the book. It's Danilo.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely adore Marion Zimmer-Bradley! Another one you might want to check out is "Oath of the Renunciates". The sexuality was quite strong in that one and, as always, Marion did an amazing job fleshing out yet another aspect of her world. :)

tanita✿davis said...

Um. Wait. I THOUGHT I READ ALL THE DARKOVER NOVELS. WOW.