Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Mini Mia and Her Darling Uncle


By Pija Lindebaum, translated by Elisabeth Kallick Dyssegaard


Mia is a little girl who loves soccer and her uncle Tommy.

When her parents go on a vacation leaving her with her grandmother, Mia delights in hanging out with her favorite Uncle.

But one day there's an interloper... some new guy, Fergus, who's always around HER uncle, wanting to do things with them.

(The cover image is Mia pouring sugar all over Fergus' shoe when he intrudes on her and her uncle's afternoon of coffeeshop people-watching!)

The book never comes out and has the characters SAY "I hate your new boyfriend" or "Mia, this is Fergus. I love him, and I'm gay..." or anything like that.

It's at heart a book for young children about sharing, and Mia doesn't want to share someone she loves with someone new. (Which is a pretty universal emotion.)

It all ends up well (of course) with the interloper, Fergus, and Mia finding out they have something in common... and that all three of them can have fun together.

And it's really left to the final illustration to share the message:
There's enough love to go around.


"Mini Mia and her Darling Uncle" was GAY GAY GAY, without talking about being "gay," and it made me smile. How I wish I could have had this picture book read to me when I was a little kid.


Thanks to loyal blog reader Francis for the recommendation. And get this - the original Swedish title of this book was "Lill Zlatan och Farbror Raring!"

Add your review of "Mini Mia and her Darling Uncle" in comments!

2 comments:

Francis S. said...

Thanks for the plug, Lee. And I love Pija Lindenbaum - she has a lot of "problem-solution" books that she does in her own inimitable way: one about a mother suffering burnout called "When Owen's Mother Breathed Fire" and her latest is about a little boy who plays with dolls: "Kenta och barbisarna" which I don't think is out in English yet, but translates to "Kenta and the Barbies." And the texts are even funnier in the original Swedish somehow.

susan said...

This sounds good. It's been awhile since I've visited your blog. Saw the link on another bloggers page and glad for it. Adding your site to my blog roll so I can stay updated.