Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Center Of The World


By Andreas Steinhofel (translation by Alisa Jaffa)

Phil is 17, and with his twin sister Diane, he lives in an atmospheric gothic mansion in Germany with their free spirited and promiscuous Mother. The town their estate borders is filled with conservative and judgmental people, who refer to Phil and his sister as the "witch's children."

But that town also includes Nicholas, who becomes Phil's first boyfriend. Their relationship is passionate, and fraught with the tension of Nicolas hiding it.

Mysteries are everywhere: Diane won't talk to their mother. Phil's American father abandoned them. What's the difference between sex and intimacy? Just how do you grow up to be a man?


"The Center Of The World" is translated from the original German "Die Mitte der Welt."


Add your review of this book in "comments!"

3 comments:

Hayden Thorne said...

Gothic mansion? That's awesome! I just placed a hold on a copy at my library. :) I look forward to reading it.

Unknown said...

There seems to be a growing number of YA lit coming to us in translation from the German these days. All the Cornelia Funke stuff paved the way I guess. I think it's a good thing.

Add this to my TBR list.

trPANj said...

The best queer book I have ever read. I can recommend it to everyone!

Tomas (from the Czech Republic)