Thursday, September 4, 2008

Fat Hoochie Prom Queen


By Nico Medina

Margarita "Madge" Diaz is fat, flamboyant, and hates Bridget Benson (the "perfect" student body president.)

The anti-loving is mutual.

See, Madge and Bridget were both child actors, and now as seniors, they've met again at their posh High School.

They face off and decide O.K. Corral-style that they'll compete to be named Prom Queen - one wins, and the other backs off for good.

Okay, an outrageous book about two straight girls who both want to be prom queen. Why am I including it here?

Well, there's Madge's "right-hand homo" (gay best friend), Lucas.

There's the attitude. Lines like:

"Welcome to the fucked-up, crazy story of how Bridget Benson turned mild-mannered me into a hateful rage-o-maniac hell-bent on changing the face of "prom queen" forever!! (Yes, that was a DOUBLE exclamation point!!)


And let's face it: a no-holds barred battle-of-the-bitches to be Prom Queen? Now that's Queer!


Add your review of "Fat Hoochie Prom Queen" in comments!

2 comments:

Rie Selavy said...

I'm reading an ARC of this one now. I'm loving Madge's attitude, but I'm getting a bit tired of the Fabulous Gay Friend (tm) trope. Seeing more queer characters in YA lit is awesome, but I've seen it done less-than-skillfully more often than not.(Vibes, Fancy White Trash, I'm looking at you.)

And hey, where are the fabulous lesbian friends? The only one I can think of is Val's best friend in Holly Black's Valiant.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this book, but not as much as Medina's first book.