Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Out Of The Pocket


By Bill Konigsberg

Bobby is a 17 year old High School senior in conservative Orange County, California. He's the star quarterback on his school's football team, and his teammates are like brothers.

Except, they don't know he's GAY.

When Bobby is OUTED against his will by a student reporter, it's like everything in his life is rushing to sack him.

But he's a quarterback, and he's going to have to figure out a way to earn back his teammates' trust.

He's also going to have to figure out how to get to his future - a future that's going to be more difficult, and more public, than he ever imagined.


Interesting notes: This is Bill's debut novel, AND he's a professional sports writer (I bet that had a lot to do with the cool football setting.)

Add your review of "Out of the Pocket" in comments!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Out of the Pocket" is my favorite teen novel of the year!

Bill Konigsberg chooses a perfectly timely subject (out gay athletes), creates and surprising plot that avoids all cliches, writes great comic lines, and actually makes me *care* about the football scenes (which I would have thought impossible beforehand).

This book works territory similar to that of Alex Sanchez in "The God Box": Where Sanchez focused on gay teens of faith, Konigsberg shos gay teens are serious, talented athletes, too.

It's a big winner.

Anonymous said...

Loved this book- I also reviewed it on my myspace blog. Just simply fantastic. Can't wait to read more from Bill.

Anonymous said...

This book was such a surprise to read! The narration is endearing, and I became so enthusiastic during the football scenes! And the fact that Bobby just wants to play football and not wallow so much on his sexuality made him become that much more likeable as a character. It's great and I really hope to read more from Bill Konigsberg =]

Michael D Mobley said...

When you have limited space to keep and show your favorite books it takes one that stands out above others to earn a permanent space on your bookshelf. This book earned it's permanent spot on my book shelf. I can't quantify why exactly. All I know is that this book was refreshingly different in it's telling of an old (and sometimes worn out) story.

I will confess that the part of the story that involved the high school reporter almost lost me. The rest of the story compelled me to continue reading. The way said part of the story was resolved made worked and helped make the whole read that much more enjoyable.