Thursday, July 31, 2008

Thinking Straight


By Robin Reardon

Taylor's a junior in High School, and he's figured out that since he's Gay, God must have wanted him to be that way. He's crushing on a guy in his school, Will, and the feeling is mutual.

But Taylor's parents have a different view on it, and when they discover that their son is "confused" about his sexuality, they pack him off to a Christian rehab center called "Straight to God."

It's kind of a prison, specializing in ridding teenagers of their sins - drugs, violence, being attracted to other boys...

Taylor is constantly watched and has no privacy, and figures he has to play along with the reprogramming to survive. Or does he?


Add your review of "Thinking Straight" in comments!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite books of my recent "Gay Teen Novel" reading glut. Though I'm not exactly sure I can explain why.... I love the characterization, the dialogue is smooth (one of my biggest pet peeves) and the story is engrossing.

On the other hand, the plot has a somewhat unbelievable climax. Satisfyingly shocking, though. And I liked that everything is not settled perfectly for the main characters, even though it's a happy ending.

What would I want to know before I read this novel? You will come out of it conversant in pro-homosexual bible passages if you read it. A very well-defined argument for accepting homosexuality in Christianity, and wrapped in an entertaining package. This isn't a traditional romance, but there are romance elements.