Thursday, November 8, 2007

It's A Small QUEER World After All...

Well, I'm all excited about how the GLBTQ community, though the magic of the internet, has gone GLOBAL! And yeah, even lil' ol' me and this barely two month-old blogsite!

I confess... I finally have a way to know (don't worry- not who) but where geographically speaking, people are when they visit this blogsite.

And it's been a great reminder to me that my mission is not just to empower and inform American Teens and others about great GLBTQ YA Novels (and cool bits of our queer history and my ramblings - er... musings, like this one) but to empower and inform Teens and others interested who inhabit the greater English-speaking world.

Heady stuff, huh?

Well here's a sampling, from just the last two days, of where people who are part of this growing community are from:

Hyderabad, India

Sydney, Australia

New Zealand

Stuttgart, Germany

Luton, England

Edmonton, Canada

Manila, Phillippines

Amsterdam, Netherlands

and over 15 States in the U.S.A.!


So the list of books on this blogsite will eventually include books from Canada, books from Australia and New Zealand, books from the United Kingdom, and books from the rest of the English speaking world!

Until I accomplish the goal of "I'm Here. I'm Queer. What the Hell do I Read?" being a truly GLOBAL resource, here are some great lists compiled by others, to get your reading going!

Author Justine Larbalestier has compiled a list of Oz (Australian) GLBT YA blooks.

Librarian Elisabeth has a list of Canadian YA novels with GLBT Characters or Themes.


And, in a very exciting development, a British internet news site, ukgaynews.org.uk,
did a small article Tuesday November 6, 2007, on my Monday post, Bisexual Pharoah Rules 4,300 Years Ago!:

Following Sunday's "unmasking" of King Tutankhamun live on worldwide television from the Valley of the Kings, across the Nile from Luxor in Egypt, it was inevitable that there would be some discussion on which ancient Egyptian kings were gay. Sure enough, Lee Wind's "I'm Here. I'm Queer. What the Hell Do I Read" blog obliged. And it is not the 19-years-old Tutankhamun ...

All this GOING GLOBAL stuff totally makes me want to sing, (And you can sing along too, you know you want to...)

"It's a small Queer world after all,
It's a small Queer world after all,
It's a small Queer world after all,
it's a small...Queer...world!"

Namaste,

Lee

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you should sing! Good work! Your blog and Worth the Trip are important resources for queer kids (and for us hetters who love queer YA fiction) and deserve to go global.

I just finished reading Luna and will post a review both at my blog and your entry for Peters' book. Hope to do it tonight. :)

Keep up the good work, Lee!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is really cool. Such a vivid example of the power of the internet (and good content). Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm straight, but not narrow & I have been reading your blog regularly (as well as a few others) to keep me informed in GLBT books for teens. I work in a public library & am involved in the teen collection. I am not able to read *everything* (although I do try to read a large number of titles in all genres) and your blog, amoungst others, helps me to keep current with titles I can promote to the teens. Your site has helped me out many times with booktalks & book recommendations already. Please keep up the reviews & information. Thank you.

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Thanks for the Kind words! I absolutely LOVE that straight but not narrow folks like Tara and Hayden are part of this community, too. I've written about it before and I'm sure I will again - it's critical that the GLBTQ community have allies who believe in us and want us to have equality, self-determination, and joyful, fulfilled lives. And Tara, Librarians can make a HUGE difference in the lives of GLBTQ Teens, and I applaud you being there for them! I'm delighted so many people are finding this blogsite useful, informative and fun!
Namaste,
Lee

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link, Lee! I'm always thrilled to see YA GLBT books getting some positive attention. It's also hugely exciting that there are enough YA books with queer themes to sustain entire blogs on the subject! (Now, if children's books would only follow suit...)

Rita said...

That is sweet! Press coverage on your blog! You are creating a worldwide sensation!

Fantastic!!