Monday, February 29, 2016

Carry On - An Incredibly Fun (And New York Times Bestselling!) Gay Teen Wizard Fantasy



Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

Simon Snow is the worst Chosen One who's ever been chosen.

That's what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a "complete git," but he's probably right.

Half the time, Simon can't even make his wand work, and the other half, he starts something on fire. His mentor's avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there's a magic-eating monster running around, wearing Simon's face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here--it's their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon's infuriating nemesis didn't even bother to show up.

I flippin' LOVED this book. And I'm not alone (that best-seller thing.) If you liked Harry Potter, if you wanted to see more GAY content and characters in Harry Potter, if you wished Dumbledore had been out about being gay inside the seven Harry Potter books... Read "Carry On."

You're welcome.

3 comments:

CS Perryess said...

Great book -- Rowell is amazing.

Cameron said...

Just finished it, started last night at 10pm after seeing this post and was up much of the night, so obviously couldn't put it down. That fulfilled everything I ever wanted Harry Potter to do for me. It had the same sort of sense of enchantment and wonder but with a much tighter plot and ultimately more fufilling and funny characters, without the common angst overdose. There is also an actually sweet and believable romance, well as believable as a teen fantasy can get, they are still vampires and wizards and fairies(and fairies:-). If you ever wished for a wonderful world of wizards with less baggage and more banter, this is the book you were wishing for.

I literally woke my husband up at 3 in the morning as I cheered for their first kiss!

Cee Arr @ Dora Reads said...


Verdict:

I surprised myself by really enjoying this book. True, there were some minus-points, but they didn't really detract from the whole. And I love Baz; he's just awesome.

See my full review here