Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Former Homophobic Bully Comes Out As Gay, and Apologizes

This was fascinating.


As reported at Logo's New Now Next site,

"a former middle-school bully revealed that he’s now gay, and wrote an open letter of apology to the classmate he tormented with anti-gay remarks." This former bully, "James," wrote,

"If you’re in my situation, please don’t resort to verbal abuse over things that scare/ frighten you, be strong, talk to people in a civilized manner, and open up to them.

I know I’m gay, I think I bullied Nate so much because I was afraid of being like this, I wanted to be the strong straight kid my dad always wanted."
"James" wishes he could apologize to the boy he harassed:
"Again I can’t apologies [sic] to Nate now, but if I could I would want to tell him this: I’m sorry for all the verbal harassment I put you through, the truth is I always thought you were pretty cool and sort of attractive, and that frustrated me."
That stopped me in my tracks. The kid bullying Nate thought Nate was attractive?!? And that was what fueled much of the meanness??? WOW.





Let that sink in for a moment.

"the truth is I always thought you were pretty cool and sort of attractive, and that frustrated me."




Wow.


"James" goes on to address those who are being bullied right now and hopes they can stay strong.

“You didn’t do anything wrong, those who bully you or insult you are most often then not having an identity crisis,” he writes. “I’m here for you now, and want to know that you’re perfect just the way you are.”

Yes.

What a shame "James" couldn't have figured that out sooner, without making Nate's life miserable.

Here's to epiphanies for all the kids and teens who are acting like bullies!

Lee

No comments: