Monday, November 14, 2011

A Newsletter!




Have you noticed the cute new sign-up box on the top left column of this blog?

I'm launching a new twice-a-month newsletter to share an overview of my latest "I'm Here. I'm Queer. What the Hell do I Read?" posts, news about my speaker visits, and an inspirational gem.

The first issue goes out tomorrow, and I'd be delighted if you would sign up!  You can enter your e-mail address in the Lee Wind Newsletter subscribe box (top left) or visit the google group page to add your e-mail address here.

Current laws don't allow anyone to collect e-mail addresses for youth under 18, so if you're under 18, there's the option of subscribing via feedburner to this blog, and following me on facebook and twitter. You'll get much of the same information, just not put together in tidy two-week packages. But heck, you're teenagers, and you know that life isn't tidy. Thanks!

*** Correction, Wednesday November 20, 2011***
Turns out the law is a restriction on collecting email addresses of children under 13.  So for blog readers 13-17 years old, you CAN sign up!  (Apologies to my 11 and 12 year old readers.)  Thanks to the commenter who let me know I was mistaken, and to all of you!
***

Thanks as well to my friend and social media guru Greg Pincus, who helped me figure out the best way to do this newsletter, and to everyone who suggested - and requested - I do one.

And for all of you, thanks for reading!

Namaste,
Lee

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Current laws don't allow anyone to collect e-mail addresses for youth under 18"
Which law is that? My understanding is that the age limit is 13, not 18, and for younger children there are just additional requirements, such as a privacy policy:

"If you operate a commercial Web site or an online service directed to children under 13 that collects personal information from children or if you operate a general audience Web site and have actual knowledge that you are collecting personal information from children, you must comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act."
http://www.coppa.org/#

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

Hey Anonymous, thanks for the heads-up. I did look up the law, and it indeed is a restriction on collecting emails of children under 13. http://www.ftc.gov/privacy/coppafaqs.shtm

While it still means that my 11 and 12 year old readers can't subscribe, it's great for my 13-17 year old readers that they can!

Thanks very much for correcting my error.
Namaste,
Lee