Monday, July 4, 2011

Have You Read "Am I Blue?" By Bruce Coville? You MUST!


Okay, one of the good-problem challenges is that I can't read everything, which is why this blog is set up to highlight your reviews. I work to make my lists of GLBTQ teen books comprehensive, and give good info about what they're about with links to the author's sites and to get a copy.

So it's not unusual for me to finally get to a book after it's been blogged about, and in this case, last summer's intern Hannah wrote up the "Am I Blue? Coming Out From The Silence" post, as Bruce's story provided the name for the anthology edited by Marion Dane Bauer.

But I just sat down and read Bruce's 13 page story that starts off the collection, and all I can say is, WOW!

You have to read this!

What if a fairy godfather told you that one of the three great gay fantasies was to imagine what it would be like if every gay person in the country turned blue for a day?

Well Vincent (who isn't really sure if he's gay or not, but keeps getting beat up because the bully in his school thinks he is) just met his fairy godfather, and he's going to get his wish...


It's an amazing story, and I'm so glad I read it.

I hope you read it, too.

And for those of you in the U.S.A., it's a great way to celebrate our Independence Day, the 4th of July!

Namaste,
Lee

4 comments:

ivanova said...

"Am I Blue?" is great!

The Pen and Ink Blogspot said...

Well, I love Bruce Coville, so I'm sure it's good. I want to read it.

tanita✿davis said...

I think that was the first book I ever read about GLBTQ stuff, back in the day, and it was like, "WHOA." It's a really great book.

Sarah-the-Yente said...

Fantastic book. It was one of the ones I read IN the library when I was first exploring my sexuality.