Monday, May 9, 2011

The Witch Hunt Against An English Teacher Who Writes Erotica, and How It Backfired!


So here's the scoop: A High School English Teacher, Judy Buranich, writes erotica under the pseudonym Judy Mays, and has had her books published.

But some parents found out that Judy's books were erotica and tried to get her canned.

The good news? In Judy's words:

"...the entire fiasco backfired on the parents who complained. The support I have received from around the world has been unbelievable. Two complete strangers started a support page for me; and, the last time I checked, it had over 9000 “like” hits. However, it’s been the support from my current students, many, many former students, and their parents that has humbled me and warmed my heart. I was always pretty sure I was respected, but the outpouring of support from “my kids” has brought tears to my eyes more than once. They have rocked my world.

Also, the support of the romance community, both authors and readers, has been overwhelming. So, I want to thank everyone who has joined me on this wild ride from the bottom of my heart. You are all truly wonderful people.

And, not to worry. I am not going to lose my teaching job over this.

Oh, my books sales will probably go up too.

Again, thank you all very, very much."



Check out this video, made by a former student of Judy's, that says it brilliantly:




I'm so glad to see that the vast majority of reaction to this has been in the teacher's defense. We ARE moving our world in the right direction - we just have to make sure we keep pushing and standing up and having our voices of reason heard!

Oh, and here's the link to the support Judy Mays facebook page - they were at 9,153, but then I just liked it - so they're at 9,154! If you're over 18, you can like it, too.

If you're under 18, I'm curious: Would it matter to you at all if one of your teachers - in their spare time - wrote erotica?

Namaste,
Lee

1 comment:

Greg Pincus said...

How much do I love that one of her ex-students is a vlogger! A lot, that's how much. Thanks for sharing that vid, Lee!