Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Israel's First: Gili Shem Tov and Dorit Millman are the first two women couple to compete on "Dancing With The Stars"

So 30 different countries have versions of Dancing With The Stars.

But in all 30 countries, including the U.S.A., there's never been a two-man or two-woman couple in the competition.

Now, on Israel's Rokdim im hakohavim (yes, literally 'dancing with the stars' in Hebrew) TV presenter, sportcaster and openly gay woman Gili Shem Tov and professional dancer Dorit Milman, an openly heterosexual woman, will be competing as a couple.



There's so much that's fascinating about this.

One, is that sometimes we can feel smug in the U.S.A. about how we're the world leaders on this or that... and here Israel has left us in the dust.

Two, Dorit is not a lesbian, or queer herself. But she's an ALLY. And the fact that she and Gili are teaming up, to break through this barrier, is really heartening.

And Three, I love Gili's quote: “I have realised that dance is about co-ordination and energy between two people, whether female or male." and that's such a great message to get out there.

Oh, and Pamela Anderson has been announced as one of the guest judges of this year's season, and that promises to be quite a "Grrl power" moment!

Here's their first dance on the show:



Now, whether they're the best dancers or not is kind of beside the point. Where the show really makes it's impact may very well be the opening credits sequence, where Gili and Dorit are featured right alongside every other competing couple!



And in America, ABC network said it was waiting to see how this goes over in Israel before the US show does it as well. But it's already being talked about... Ryan Seacrest told Portia DeGeneres (Ellen DeGeneres' wife, who changed her last name from De Rossi) on his November 9th radio show that the U.S. version of Dancing With The Stars is

"planning to feature a same-sex couple. You're at the top of the list."
Thank you Israel!

Namaste,
Lee

5 comments:

Leslie @ This is the Refrain said...

This is very exciting! I hope they do something like this here. I would have liked to see them dance together more. They were more choreographed together, but not exactly dancing together, if that makes any sense. I don't want them dancing side by side or just holding hands, I want an all-out embrace! But it was just the first dance, and like you said, how you dance isn't really important, it's the mere fact that they are partners. Exciting!

Jodie said...

Hurray! I'm afraid our Len (UK judge) would not like all that faffing with the table at the start though.

The Pen and Ink Blogspot said...

Dear Mr. Wind,
In regards to the Ms. Tov and Ms. Millan...HUBBA, HUBBA! I want to convert.
Sincererly
Dancing with My Fingers

kittens not kids said...

i love love LOVE the phrase "openly heterosexual."

I think I need to make that part of my personal lexicon. I do sometimes mention "coming out as straight," but "openly heterosexual" is just awesome.

in a different way, I also like the phrase "non-practicing homosexual," because it's so completely dodgy and inane. But this is another term I'd like to see used more for hetero folks, because I think an awful lot of straight people are "non-practicing heterosexuals."

Applying those qualifiers to the perceived norm of hetero-ness makes them more than a bit silly...and, without normalizing queerness, makes queerness normal.

(does that make any sense, or is my brain already asleep?)

also: huzzah for Portia DeGeneres!

Lee Wind, M.Ed. said...

kittens not kids - I'm so glad you liked "openly heterosexual!" I was hoping someone would notice - I felt a bit gleeful about writing it out that way!

Thanks everyone for your comments!
Namaste,
Lee