Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A Gay Joke for National Poetry Month

Alright, is it too much of a stretch to include a joke in this GLBTQ celebration of National Poetry Month?

Jokes, like poems, have to...

Well, you know, on second thought I'm NOT going to try to justify it. This may be a bit off-topic, and kind of old-fashioned, but it made me laugh out loud, and hopefully you'll enjoy it, too.

It's from a list of "classic gay graffiti"

"My mother made me a homosexual."

"If I send her some yarn, will she make me one too?"

I guess all that old-fashioned psycho-babble about gay men's childhood relationships with their mothers being at "fault" for our being gay is what makes this so funny to me, especially since it's pretty universally understood now that being gay is genetic - it's our nature. It's the being HONEST about being GLBTQ or not that seems to be the "nurture" part of the equation.

Anyway, I hope it cracked you up, too.

Namaste,

Lee

I found this in the list of "19 classic gay graffiti" in Leigh Rutledge's "The Gay Book of Lists", pg. 44

No comments: