Monday, February 22, 2021

Seven Highlights of #NY21SCBWI (plus my top inspiration, and some gratitude, too.)


Highlights:

Some moments from the wonderful SCBWI 2021 Winter Conference that are still resonating for me:

"I wrote this book for you and girls like you, because you deserve to see Black girls on the cover of books." Reneé Watson, speaking to her goddaughter Ryan in her Golden Kite Award best middle grade/young reader fiction acceptance speech for Ways to Make Sunshine

"You have to get the story right and the music right." РMatt de la Pe̱a, on writing picture books

"Creativity is a thing that gets me through hard times." – Christian Robinson

My answer to you couldn't do that... "I did it anyway and it went great." – Jean Feiwel

"That new book needs to tell its own story, and not be just a giant epilogue." A new story where characters have a chance to breathe, a chance to discover things about themselves, and discover things about each other." – Becky Albertalli, on writing a sequel

"If I can't do it authentically, I'm not interested in performing it for people." – Adam Silvera, on social media

"I like books that allow me to enter them," and too many words get in the way. – Patricia MacLachlan

Inspiration

My biggest inspirational moment happened during the honor of hosting the LGBTQ+ and Allies social. Coming back from multiple breakout rooms, people spoke about a number of people writing stories with LGBTQ characters and themes where they're writing #QueerJoy. 

#QueerJoy - I love that!

Gratitude

My gratitude as well to my fellow members of SCBWI Team Blog for this conference: Debbie Ohi, Lakita Wilson, Jaime Temairik, Jolie Stekly, and Don Tate. And to Lin Oliver everyone at SCBWI who pulled off a virtual conference with over 4,000 attendees, and allowed me be part of it!

Thanks for letting me share,
Lee

No comments: