Friday, January 22, 2021

Announcing a New Gathering By and For "Queer KidLit Creators"

After the January 14, 2021 SCBWI #OwnVoices Queer Voices panel, LGBTQ attendees who create works for children and teens were invited to a safe space social hosted by me on zoom. We had over 60 folks attend, and with the help of the amazing SCBWI staff who moderated we broke out into two 25 minute small group discussions.

The gathering of the LGBTQ community within the larger SCBWI community was affirming and very powerful, with many asking for there to be an ongoing gathering for Queer KidLit Creators. This has come up before numerous times at the SCBWI conference LGBTQ socials, but it hasn't made its way beyond the idea. Until now.

So here I am, standing up and saying - 

If you're a Queer kid lit creator (writer, illustrator, translator) and you'd like to be notified of the Queer KidLit Creators group meetings, just email me at leewind (at) roadrunner (dot) com. And I'll be in touch about it soon.



Please note, I'm grateful to all our allies, but this is a group just for people who identify as part of the Queer community and who create children's and teen literature.

I'm excited to get it started and see where it takes us!

The light in me recognizes and acknowledges the light in you,
Lee

No comments: