Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Highlights from the Latinx KidLit Book Festival's Panel with LGBTQ+ Latinx Writers!

 

clockwise from top left: Jonny Garza Villa, Tehlor Kay Mejia, Anna-Marie McLemore, Aiden Thomas, Mark Oshiro, and Laura Pohl.

I so enjoyed watching this discussion with Jonny Garza Villa (FIFTEEN HUNDRED MILES FROM THE SUN), Anna-Marie McLemore (DARK AND DEEPEST RED), Tehlor Kay Mejia (WE SET THE DARK ON FIRE), Mark Oshiro (EACH OF US A DESERT). Laura Pohl (THE LAST 8) and Aiden Thomas (CEMETERY BOYS)!

Moments that resonated for me included:

"Queerness is actually a very magical thing." –Aiden Thomas

"We're all kinds of works in progress in terms of identity... and that's okay and beautiful." –Anna-Marie McLemore

On not centering straight, cis, whiteness in his work: "these are the stories I want to tell...and who I am." –Mark Oshiro

"I would like this... but make it Gay." –Laura Pohl on finding her inspiration in other media

"For me, writing intersectional stories is a lot about having privilige in one area and not as much in another, and how you navigate that." –Tehlor Kay Mejia

'I want to celebrate everything I am now... to let kids/teens today know THEY can be themselves.' –Jonny Garza Villa

If you didn't catch it, you can watch the recorded panel discussion here.

My thanks to all the panelists!

No comments: