Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Willow and the Wedding - a Picture Book About a Young Girl Who Wants to Get Her Uncle to Dance at His Wedding (to Another Man) - a Picture Book I Wish Had Been Read to Me When I Was a Little Kid


Willow and the Wedding, by Denise Brennan-Nelson, Illustrated by Cyd Moore


Here's the publisher synopsis:

Willow is back! This time she’s so excited to be flower girl for her favorite uncle and his partner David’s wedding. Willow just can’t wait to help make it perfect. The beach ceremony! The dinner! The dessert! The dancing! But there’s just one hiccup. Uncle Ash refuses to dance these days. A wedding with no dancing?! Willow makes it her mission to remind him of the joy he found in dancing years ago. On the evening of the wedding, Uncle Ash surprises them all and everyone dances in just the ways they were meant to.


Gotta admit, this one choked me up a bit - just the joy about Ash and David getting married from everyone in the family, and the story's conflict not being the wedding being a gay wedding, but that Ash didn't want to dance...

Absolutely a picture book I wish had been read to me when I was a little kid. Next best thing - I got to read it now. And recommend it to you.

Add your review of "Willow and the Wedding" in comments!

No comments: