Friday, May 9, 2014

Two Spirits, One Heart: A Mother's Day Gift For Us All

Mother's Day is Sunday, so this is the perfect time to share about:



Two Spirits, One Heart by Marsha Aizumi with Aiden Aizumi

Mother, educator, and LGBT activist Marsha Aizumi shares her story of parenting a young woman who came out as a lesbian, then transitioned to male. Marsha's personal journey was from fear, uncertainty, and sadness to eventual unconditional love, acceptance, and support of her child who struggled to reconcile his gender identity.

Two quotes from Marsha's introduction in the book need to be shared:

"May the thoughts I am sharing encourage you to continue to love your child no matter what and may this book serve to inspire you to release the fear and embrace the love you have for your child."
and

"This journey with Aiden has made my life so much richer. It has deepened my appreciation for my husband and brought me closer to my younger son, Stefen. I am living the life I dream, and I am living it because Aiden had the courage to say, "This is who I am."
Marsha Aizumi and her son, Aiden

I interviewed Marsha last year, and you can watch that video here. Add your review of "Two Spirits, One Heart" in comments!

No comments: