Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Beautiful Music for Ugly Children - A Transgender Novel



Beautiful Music For Ugly Children by Kirstin Cronn-Mills

Gabe Williams is a guy with big summer plans. He’s got a job as a radio DJ, following in the footsteps of his mentor, and he wants to move far away after graduation. He’s also hoping his best friend Paige will fall in love with him—she’s smart, she’s hot, and she tolerates his music habit. He couldn’t ask for more. His only problem? The rest of the world has known him as Elizabeth for the last eighteen years.

My birth name is Elizabeth, but I'm a guy. Gabe. My parents think I've gone crazy and the rest of the world is happy to agree with them, but I know I'm right. I've been a boy my whole life.

When you think about it, I'm like a record. Elizabeth is my A side, the song everybody knows, and Gabe is my B side--not heard as often, but just as good.

It's time to let my B side play.

A Top Ten Pick for the 2013 ALA Rainbow List, you can add your review of "Beautiful Music For Ugly Children" in comments!

4 comments:

Book Dragon said...

some of my favorite songs are from the B side.

I'm hoping my library has this!

Book Dragon said...

they do! :D

ivanova said...

I enjoyed this one. I liked the radio dj angle of the story, and I liked the supporting character John, who was the cranky old neighbor who was one of Gabe's best friends.
Trigger warning for some violence.

Cayce said...

It's already on my TBR :)